Sign in to follow this  
Guest Richard_H

Will FS2004 actually work on this PC for me?

Factory standard Dell P4, 2.53Ghz, 533 Mhz FSB, Ti4600 (nVidia 40.** something drivers), 1024 Rambus RAM. Currently has FS2002 loaded and working brilliantly with massive amounts of a/c and some scenery add-ons.Or will I get a black screen with FS2004 ?Or 4 fps ?I see a lot of distress on this forum about FS2004, that's why I am asking. I don't want to believe the comments about disabling FSAA to get FS2004 to work. I appreciate any posts, really. Thanks!JS

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I can't comment on the video card, but you can expect solid 20 fps in most situations. Where you, and everyone else, will grind to a halt is lots of clouds that you are a) flying through, and :( fairly close to the ground. Other than that, I think you should be good to go. I have 2. 6/400fsb and the sim flies fine except as noted above. Colin Ware

Would you like to trade with me? :-)I'm running COF2004 on an Athlon 1.2 gHz chip with a gForce 3, 64 MB video card. I have the frame rates locked at 16 fps and it is working really well for me. I don't understand the complaints I'm seeing....I'm even flying the new Dreamfleet Cessna 310 with no problems even though it has a minimum spec of 1.5 gHz.

Those specs are about what I have and I am happy. Yes, there are frame rate drops etc, but it does not bother me too much. Turning down the % of 3D clouds greatly helps keep rates up. Much to my surprise, when weather is good and not many clouds in the sky I get better frames than fs2002. Everything looks cleaner, sharper, and smoother than before for me too. Every new version of FS will take a hit on most systems. People need to get over it and realize if they want everything maxed they need to be ready to upgrade.With added features and fx comes a price. Anyway, go for it. I uninstalled 2002 and have not looked back. Brew

Colin, Brew and Working Stiff:Thanks for quick responses with interesting info--and encouragement !Great forum!JS

I have a P4 1.9 GHz 256RAM and a GeForce2 MX400 Ver4.0 When I get FS2004 Im going to load it up and if it dont work I will take it off my computer and put it aside until I upgrade my computer. I planned on upgrading my computer but not until December, but now Im going to upgrade it earlier.Im going to get a new graphic card and more RAM.

Niaively, when I heard that there wasn't any noticeable difference in performance between FS2K2 and FS2K4, I rationalised (totally wrongly), that it would be the same for low end machines... not a chance.I have a decent PC at home, but I do a lot of long term business travel, so use FS on my ancient laptop - 400 Mhz, 312Mb RAM, 64Mb Rage Mobility Pro Card.When I picked up the tin today, I noticed ominously a minimum spec of 450 Mhz. I thought I would give it a try anyway.The big problem was that it didn't like the Rage Mobility Card, and pointed me in the direction of the ATI site (this was very well done I thought). However, the ATI site said it didn't support drivers for the laptop products. So had to go the Software acceleration route...I was luckly to get 1 FPS :+ So off it comes. I'm not too fussed, the laptop still runs FS2K2 reasonably... just need to persuade the boss that I just can't function properly with the dinosaur that I'm using ;)