Sign in to follow this  
klm251

Help!

Hey all i am currently flying amsterdam - jfk but my tail tanks are empty and now my tail engine has failed i have been trying to pump fuel in the tail tank without result anyone can help me?Johan Ketting

Hey all i am currently flying amsterdam - jfk but my tail tanks are empty and now my tail engine has failed i have been trying to pump fuel in the tail tank without result anyone can help me?Johan Ketting
Why not leave the system in Automatic? If you loaded the aircraft correctly through the FMC you should never have to touch the fuel system.The Number 2 engine can feed from any tank, the only issue is a pump failure due to the fact that you cannot gravity feed the engine but thats why you will find 2 pumps for number 2.

Rob Prest

Guest SK8TRBOI747

If it is "Ballast Fuel" you might be out of luck - that can't be moved/transferred. But the previous post is correct, if you have the fuel panel in Automatic ("Manual" light goes out and button is dark) it should all be taken care of...if not, "Brace, Brace, Brace"! :( Good luck, my prayers are with you and your passengers!

Unless you are close to the max weights, you should be able to continue on 1 and 3 without too much of an issue... I have never had this issue either... leaving the system in automatic is fine, unless an issue arises and you need to go manual...Andrew

In the meanwhile i landed savely at jfk without a issue i managed to transfer fuel to different tanks except the tail tank and i was also able to restart engine number 2 still i had a fuel imbalence but it went ok the system was on automatic when i flew over the atlanic i got 2 eicas messages saying cg out of limit and fuel system man or so since then i wasn't able to put it on automatic 30 minutes away from boston engine number 2 started to fail and i have been flying on 1 and 3 for an hour or so for an hour after that i was able to restart engine number 2This fuel system is so much complicated i have been flying the 744 for years wich was also complicated but i know that fuel system a bit more better then the one of the big 11 still i couldt use some tips tho what i have to look after to for the next flightthx for all the comments and helpJohan Ketting

Guest SK8TRBOI747
In the meanwhile i landed savely at jfk without a issue i managed to transfer fuel to different tanks except the tail tank and i was also able to restart engine number 2 still i had a fuel imbalence but it went ok the system was on automatic when i flew over the atlanic i got 2 eicas messages saying cg out of limit and fuel system man or so since then i wasn't able to put it on automatic 30 minutes away from boston engine number 2 started to fail and i have been flying on 1 and 3 for an hour or so for an hour after that i was able to restart engine number 2This fuel system is so much complicated i have been flying the 744 for years wich was also complicated but i know that fuel system a bit more better then the one of the big 11 still i couldt use some tips tho what i have to look after to for the next flightthx for all the comments and helpJohan Ketting
No problem! Very happy to hear that you and your passengers made it safely!The -11 fuel system is not quite as straight forward as the 744, as you mention. But, if you fill 'er up using the "Shortcuts" on the FMC (or, of course, the Load Manager - never through the FSX Fuel Loader) and always leave in automatic, the computers onboard take care of the complexities. The one odd-ball thing that can screw this up is the aforementioned Ballast Fuel - which remains untouchable in flight.Cheers!

How did you load the fuel? It sounds like you did something wrong in your initial setup. I still don't understand why you had a failure, the number 2 engine can feed from any tank. Are you sure the flameout was not due to something else?

Rob Prest

How did you load the fuel? It sounds like you did something wrong in your initial setup. I still don't understand why you had a failure, the number 2 engine can feed from any tank. Are you sure the flameout was not due to something else?
I don't think it was caused by something else when i started at amsterdam i used the pmdg fuel loader (never use the FSX one with pmdg aircraft except the 737)When i started at Schiphol Amsterdam i had 77 tons of fuel onboard and everything went ok without a glitch then on the nat the first problems occur but i have told that story allreadyJohan Ketting