Sign in to follow this  
jwenham

BufferPool tweek clarification

Ok thanks for that *******.No, the Octa wasn't built for FSX (built 2 years ago). I was heavy into computer chess and typically, more cores = more wins... although there are diminishing returns even as decent of MP engines that they are. Some scale better than others.That was a major disappointment for me (late 2006) when I realized the FSX was going to be SP. I had hoped they were going to be blazing a MP trail like Valve's Half-Life Ep. 2, but alas... Yes, I will try to watch Taskmgr, but thought I wouldn't really be able to see much in the way of shifting the main scheduler to another core (is why I wanted to verify the proper "n" number). I use Taskmgr to Set Affinity to the 2nd CPU for certain programs running during FSX like Hamachi, FSHost, FSFK etc... it seems to help (no before/after tests run like Gary Dunne's (RESET MCP ALT) FSXMark07.The Octa is quite finicky with FSX and core usage (unlike a MP Chess Engine) at least from what I remember 2 years or so ago when I tried isolating say to the 2nd CPU etc... it would noticeably cut down FPS. But by golly I can't remember if I did the isolating with AffinityMask or using Set Affinity in Taskmgr... probably Set Affinity. I'm not much of a tweaker... I try to get to an "acceptable" level because I abide by the phrase, "I'd rather be Flying." :( Really looking forward to checking out how well the Octa plays with your settings (after being RMA'd two weeks ago, the motherboard arrived as I am typing this! ) so am gearing up! Thanks again!
I have the same PC and had the same frustrations. *******'s recommendations have really helped along with a couple of my own tweaks. To get this rig to work really well with FSX do the following:In fsx.cfg: -set buffer pools to zero -affinity to 248. This uses the cores 4 to 7 for textures and terrain. Core 3 for the main thread and core 0 for the fibres.Use an affinity tool so that any FSX add on programs and other programs run on the 2nd CPU (cores 4 to 7). These leaves the first CPU focused on FSX.The RAM is the weak spot for this PC. Ensure you have all four DIMM slots filled. Enable the interleave setting in the BIOS. Also ensure the RAM is fast. I'm running 4-4-3-12.Overclock the CPU's to 4Ghz if you haven't already.Use an Nvidia GTX 285 and overclock it. I run it at 710/1296/1584. I use two of them in SLI since I use a TH2Go setup and it elimiated the spikes and texture flashing caused by BP=0. A lower screen res may mean you may not need the 2nd card.Disable the Snoop Filter in the BIOS - I had to do this to stop stutters whilst turning when running in SLI. So it may be optional depending on your setup.Set frames to unlimited and use FPS limiter. I run it at 24 since it works regardless of add-on aircraft or scenery.Doing the above, I can now fly the LEVEL D 767 at UK2000's EGLL with VFR London enabled in heavy weather and it is as smooth as silk. Never thought it would have been possible with this rig since everyone I know or spoken to about it has had poor performance. Only JayKay at Orbx got it to perform really well.[EDIT] - I forgot to add, that I use XP64 Pro. It delivers superior performance on this rig compared to Vista 64 or Windows 7 and you don't have the texture loss issues to boot. I tried the HIGHMEM fix but it affected performance quite signifcantly with complex add on airports.

Stephen Munn