Sign in to follow this  
ronzie

Longer ATC Approaches

I would like longer ATC approaches than the standard 10 miles in FS 2004. It seems that many of the heavy aircraft have a difficult time lining up in just 10 miles and end up see sawing back and forth trying to do so. Does anyone know how to change this parameter? i remember this was changeable in FS2002 but I have forgotten how. Many thanks.

Hmmm... I just completed 2 days of flying, from PANC/PAJN/KSEA/KSFO/KLAX/KLAS/KDEN/KATL; I used all the default aircraft, and was given 25mile approaches in all the Jets. 10 mile in the props only...very strangeA.L.

Sometimes it takes me longer to taxi to the runway than to reach my destination!!!

So.......the question still remains..Is the approach distance from ATC something that can be tweaked? I thought is was but I have forgotten how.

look up the tower frequence to the airport.tune in the frequence to the radio yourself!that should do the trick, and you have ATC for as long distance as the tower can transmit radio waves..more real as well :)//Leif

I think we need to define what you mean by approach.1. The point at which you are handed over to approach control for vectoring.2. The point at which you intercept the localizer.3. The approach as defined for a published instrument approach procedure.If the airport is in a high density area, approach traffic control should take effect 30 miles or more out so you can be sequenced.Also, fly at your highest regulated approach speed until the OM where you can apply speed reduction. A localizer/ILS/VOR or other approach as final typically starts about eight to twelve miles from the DH point for final descent.

I was referring to, "2. The point at which you intercept the localizer."It seems that the variable was adjustable in previous versions. Then again, I could be wrong... But I don't think so.

I am not sure, but as a wild guess I would suggest setting the value heavy= to 0 or 1 would influence how far out approach would set you up to interesec the localizer. The value probably stands correct as the model is furnished.Some else correct me if I am icorrect, but those aircraft defined as heavy are allowed a higher approach speed and therefore lined up with HNAV - localizer further out within the limits of the system.