Sign in to follow this  
turner112

Crazy TileProxy thought of the moment

Just sitting here thinking how fun it might be if TP had some way to access online sectionals such as those at SkyVector... and yes, I want to fly over a sectional map. For that matter, I'd love to be able to fly over Yahoo street maps.... hmmm...

Andrew,Thinking is not a disease, no matter what other people think!It's a very GOOD thing to wonder, ponder and question.It can make you study and experiment and thus, you learn things...So, what "level" is a VFR sectional - are there multiple 'levels' on line?Have you thought about how to do it if there's only one level; I don't think sectionals are very high res, are they?Street maps are a different thing... they seem to be the same as aerial photos with many levels and the right kind of projection - so there's nothing stopping you, is there?You just have to fly NORTH all the time or learn to read upside down... :( .This was a low res test using tiles from SBuilder just to see if it was possible.And, of course, it was...Loyd

Curious to know how you would do that, though!
Well, very carefully, to say the least.... the original charts were scanned obviously and made into several levels of tiles for on-line use but if you zoom in and look at the latitude lines as you get further north (around Seattle, for instance) you can see they are CURVED.This is not a usable form of imagery; probably not the right kind of scale either. It would be easy to stitch together a few tiles at whatever scale (for the sake of a screenshot, for instance) but I would guess that it would quickly get out of sync with terrain features etc...and not worth the time and effort.A jpg is a jpg is a jpg. If it were named correctly, the right size, and in the right folder for its name, Tileproxy could 'use' it; only YOU know what the image contains. You could fill those golden Kansas "wheat fields" with imagery of your favorite cartoons, actors/actresses, aircraft pictures, or you own life story in photographic form.... or insert screenies of your FSX awards...A jpg is a jpg is a jpg.When I first started 'exploring' the scales of the tiles TileProxy was making and trying to get a handle on what this program was actually doing, I filled a cache with hand-made colored tiles and flew over them... it was quite revealing - you could see exactly which images the program was using and exactly what it was making.color coded scenery 'rings' with 1.2m resolution - level 17 - in the light blue beneath the AC. Progressively lower resolution further out... white is level 11 out near the horizon.the USER MANUAL is essential reading but it doesn't tell you absolutely everything.... some things you only find by exploring and experimentation.Loyd