Sign in to follow this  
gorlosky

Fire Retardant vs Water Drop

I see that there is an effect of fx_N_ wtrdrp in the aircraft.cfg under [smokeSystem] of the Erickson Aircrane - Fire Support helicopter.smoke.0 = 4.000, 5.000, 0.000, fx_N_wtrdrpIs there a colored retardant drop effect, instead of water?Can someone direct me to all the parts and pieces of setting up a craft to do water drops? I presume there might be three parts - 1) define capacity/volume/weight, 2) somehow fill or know the tank is loaded, and 3) empty the tank (which I believe is keyboard "I" = smokesystem on/off).What has to be applied to the model and what is done in the aircraft.cfg ?Thanks

Ok, I'm all for people helping people... but you're getting to the point where you're wanting people to show you absolutely everything.Know what most of us did? Learned it on our own... right down to the detail of crashing our computers repeatedly for making stupid mistakes. We experimented, tested... explored.The only time we came to forums for help is when we got to the point where our own efforts weren't making any sense or progress.I'm not trying to be rude about this... but honestly... go play. It's the best way to learn about all of this... not asking people to teach you absolutely every aspect of every possiblity in FS. When your playing gets you to a point where you actually have a problem... then you come to the forums.Asking if it's possible to have a pink water effect versus a white water effect (the pink retardent)... should kinda be a "no-brainer". Take the time to look at how effects are made. It's all in the FSX SDK.Once again, I'm not trying to be rude... but I'm certain it'll come across that way. :(

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

I see that there is an effect of fx_N_ wtrdrp in the aircraft.cfg under [smokeSystem] of the Erickson Aircrane - Fire Support helicopter.smoke.0 = 4.000, 5.000, 0.000, fx_N_wtrdrpIs there a colored retardant drop effect, instead of water?Can someone direct me to all the parts and pieces of setting up a craft to do water drops? I presume there might be three parts - 1) define capacity/volume/weight, 2) somehow fill or know the tank is loaded, and 3) empty the tank (which I believe is keyboard "I" = smokesystem on/off).What has to be applied to the model and what is done in the aircraft.cfg ?Thanks
Yes, it can be done. Look in the Effects section of the SDK for the details on setting the color of the smoke sprites.I had to write custom slurry drop gauges for my Evergreen 747 supertanker and B-25 drop effects. I added a wingtip fuel tank in the aircraft.cfg and positioned it on the centerline near the CG...remember that water is 8 lbs/gallon vs 6.5 for jet fuel, so the capacity will be a little different than it would be for fuel. FS doesn't automatically feed fuel from a tip tank, so it won't affect your fuel burn. My gauge uses FSUIPC to both trigger the smoke effect and decrement the amount of "fuel" (water) in the faux tank so that CG and weight before/during/after the drop are properly modelled. I have a half-completed project that includes a target scenery amd a drop scoring system that maybe I'll finish "some day." :( You could use FSUIPC to program a button to start the smoke effect when a joystick button is pressed and to stop when it's released, and to write a zero value to the faux tank to drop the weight...not as elegant, but it'd work.Unfortunately, my gauges are hard coded for my PFC yoke and a couple specific FS9 models, so sending them to you wouldn't do you any good.CheersBob ScottColonel, USAF (ret)ATP IMEL Gulfstream II-III-IV-VColorado Springs, CO

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Wooowww.. This sounds way too complicated. I did dig around a lot and searched forums a lot and read a lot and I have no problem assignning an AttachPoint to a part in the model and have the smokesystem dump red smoke, but I can't get a simple simple simple water drop to work at all, even after I assign fx_WaterDrop to the AttachPoint and try and activate via the smokesystem I key as I described. That's why I figured there must be something about knowing if the tank is full and maybe a tank has to be assigned somehow.WarpD - Maybe I should have explained that fully, but clearly since it was easier to write your response then write the steps, then I'm in over my head and need to pass on doing that. I thought it was simple and I was just missing a small piece.So help me out here - which SDK should I be reading the FS2004, FSX or the ESP (I have FSX) ?If you have a link to one with all the answers please please post it. I'm just trying to spit water first and worry about what color later.Thanks

Review the FSX SDK documentation regarding water ballast. There's an Event ID (trigger), there are variables that indicate the state of the valve.In the aircraft configuration section there's information on how to define the water ballast.That was me... spending 5 minutes searching the SDK.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Thanks - that what I needed. What do you think of them apples :( . Next is color to look like retardant.watery.jpg

Thanks - that what I needed. What do you think of them apples :( . Next is color to look like retardant.
...and for that, all you need to do is make a copy of the .fx file you are currently using, rename it, then edit the color start and end values in the new .fx file!...and -of course- edit the Attach Point in your model to call for the new .fx file... :(

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thanks - that what I needed.
Hope you didn't take this approach with school... expecting everyone else to do your research for you.I found that information quickly, in the most obvious place to look, without even knowing exactly what I'm seeking. You really need to put more effort into your learning and less effort into our doing the research for you.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Thanks Bill for the reminder on the Attach Point.If you need some special effects for fire fighting, find them here...FSX/FS9 - Red Retardant Drophttp://www.wildfirepilot.com/Retardant.zipThis retardant drop by James Edmond is the best I've seen for both FSX and FS9. The retardant staysvisible on the ground long after the drop is made. This allows you to box in a forest fire and practice roll ups and tag on's. Due to the way both FSX and FS9 effects interact with the terrain this effect works best when used flat or gently rolling terrain. FSX/FS9 - Blue Gel Drophttp://www.wildfirepilot.com/Blue_Gel_Drop.zipThis is a modified version of the Red Retardant drop. The S-2 Trackers in California as well as the Martin Mars both utilize a gelled water drop, dyed blue to improve visibility on the ground.