Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anubis

A round-the-world tour with TileProxy!

Guest Anubis

Hi All,After a few time spent in preparation, I have started a RTW (round-the-world) tour with FSX and TileProxy. I am writing down a diary of each leg, and I fly with max realism and random failures enabled, so it is kind of interesting.Details, pictures and notes in this blog:http://anubis-gateway.blogspot.com/Enjoy,Paolo

Guest Comicus

Very interesting, Anubis. I enjoyed reading your posts.-Comicus

Guest Anubis
Very interesting, Anubis. I enjoyed reading your posts.-Comicus
Thanks! Glad you liked it :-) Paolo

Very, very nice pics! Thanks for sharing, Anubis! :)Just a couple of quick questions:1. You say in your text that you are using google earth. I thought it was disabled/disallowed?2. Your water/ocean looks very good! Mine keeps getting big squares on it with different color than the rest. Is there a way to keep REX watertextures while at the same time keep TP land textures?Andreas

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

Guest Anubis
Very, very nice pics! Thanks for sharing, Anubis! :)Just a couple of quick questions:1. You say in your text that you are using google earth. I thought it was disabled/disallowed?2. Your water/ocean looks very good! Mine keeps getting big squares on it with different color than the rest. Is there a way to keep REX watertextures while at the same time keep TP land textures?Andreas
Thanks Andreas!Coming to your questions:1. Yes, Google Earth can't be used by TileProxy, my reference to Google Earth is the fact I use it to visualise my flight log as a .KLM file and then I get can information about where I have been and connect the screenshots that I have taken with the cities/places. It is very useful.2. Water Textures: I am not sure what you mean. You mean the water close to the shore, or open sea/ocean?Paolo

ah I get it now :) Thanks for explaining! In regards to the topic of water :) I mean the water texture tiles in proximity to land. I havent flown with Tileproxy over open ocean yet so I dont know how that's like, but I do notice very obvious, big glaring squares of water (not too far out from land) that seems to be satellite imagry taken with the lighting very different than the other water around it. If possible, I'd like to disable Tileproxy from loading water textures while flying, and I'd rather use REX water textures (which looks awesome). Is it possible?

Andreas Stangenes

http://www.youtube.com/user/krsans78
Add me on gamertag: Bullhorns78

Guest Anubis
..., big glaring squares of water (not too far out from land) that seems to be satellite imagry taken with the lighting very different than the other water around it. ...
I have REX/REX2 as well. If we are talking about near-shore water, that should be controlled by the land/water transition parameters, check the following in your tileproxy.iniwater_blending: should be onwater_smoothing: should be offwater_mask: should be onblend_distance: mine is around 250 (meters)Anyway, it may well happen that you get tiles with different colors (both on land and on water, near-shore): that's not the fault of TP, but the image provider!Let me know,Paolo

Hi Paolo,RTW tour with Tileproxy in a prop - OMG - what could be better... :( All these distant places to discover...I'll follow your blog!Good luck on your trip!GunterPS: I hate my 1 MBPS line, faster just not possible at my place. Had to give up on TP unfortunately.

I see you mention in your blog, something about failures. In this case I'd like to suggest FSPassengers. It's simply a must in my opinion. You get actual passnger weight added and you can select a default fail chance in percent. I think I have mine somewhere around 5-8%. What happens is that after some flight you'll suddenly experiance a failure. It can be one engine dies due to bird strike, gear can malfunction, brakes, flaps etc. I'm pretty sure there's a demo.I also was so damn tired of the FS weather engine which would never show the correct weather, and the IVAO engine which has a half way weather engine. So after some research I came to that I'd try REX2. It has made FS perfect. The weather is correct and full. I get icing updrafts and everything you can imagine. And the whole FS looks much better with real mist (not the FS milk), and a whole aresenal of texture substitutions, and cloud substitutions.I don't miss anything but great planes now with Tileproxy, REX2 and FSPassengers.Enjoy the tour, it looks great so far.

Guest Anubis
I see you mention in your blog, something about failures. In this case I'd like to suggest FSPassengers. ...
Hi MortenS,Thanks for the suggestion. I have FSpassengers and I like it very much.However, FSPassengers has a rather limited set of failures (I think less than 10 if I remember correctly) and most of those failures are major ones (bird strike, engine overheat, undercarriage problems and a few other ones). FSX has literally tens of different failures, minor and major ones and you can set, exactly like in FSpassengers, the probability of failures. Moreoever, in FSX you can have multiple failures, whereas in FSPassengers you always a single failure.At the end, after having made some experiments, I found the FSX failure system more open and flexible. I wrote my findings about the FSX failure system here: http://anubis-gateway.blogspot.com/2010/05...t-failures.htmlFully agree on REX/REX2, it is wonderful!Paolo