Sign in to follow this  
Dondo

Nees some Fly!II screens

I have been kicking around the idea of reinstalling Fly!II for quite awhile now. I remember back in the day how many hours I spent creating scenery (Terrascene/Terramodels), and creating accurate taxiways for almost every airport in Kansas. Man, those were the days. I spent way more time messing around in Fly!II then I did flying it. I also remember the patching process, which was lengthy as well as the max screen res of 1024x768. Not sure how that is going to look on a 24" monitor, but I'm willing to try. Help get me back in the mood, lets post some screen shots from Fly!II. Cockpits, scenery, aircraft, anything. I think my favorite plane to fly was the Malibu. I currently hold the position of Hutchinson Airport Manager and we have one of the busiest Piper Malibu/Meridian/Matrix service centers in the United States. Everyday they run up those planes less than 500 from from my office door and it takes me back to my Fly!II days.Need some pictures.. :-)Have a good weekend everyone.Dondo

Hi Dondo! I still Fly! around - should work on sceneries but just more fun flying. But here's a pic to start off with for old times sake!.Paint by Steve Brown - model from F2FD's Jarno and floating ability courtesy of ROTW's Laurent. Seawind is still my favorite to Fly! everywhere! Cheers!

Kenneth E Wood Jr  🌪️🌩️

ex AG1, USN (14yr Vet) Weather Foecaster

Here's a few with the Piper Seneca and my Flagstaff, Arizona area TerraScene:

Randall Rocke

Thanks guys. Those pics inspired me enough to reinstal and apply the ROTW dvd. After a little bit of tweaking, I managed to get it working on my win7 machine. I added in some of my custom scenery and remembered one of the reasons that I moved on. About every 5 mind, flyII will crash out with a texture load problem. I am thinking that maybe if I install terramodels and terrascene, maybe I might figure out the problem. Is the TS data still online for download?

Yes, most TS data (at least mine) has been re-uploaded, though I hope that you still have Todd's actual TerraScene program if you need to regenerate scenery or generate new. Currently, Todd has not re-uploaded his program. I'm trying to get hold of him and hope to get his permission to re-post the program.As far as texture load issues, the main culprit is usually texture slot assignments in the render.ini file.

Randall Rocke

Yes, most TS data (at least mine) has been re-uploaded, though I hope that you still have Todd's actual TerraScene program if you need to regenerate scenery or generate new. Currently, Todd has not re-uploaded his program. I'm trying to get hold of him and hope to get his permission to re-post the program.As far as texture load issues, the main culprit is usually texture slot assignments in the render.ini file.
I installed TS2.1 and started my new project, however the data that TS is trying to download does not seem to be available. I am trying to regenerate some of the scenery in Kansas and the data at wingswithwires does not seem to be hosted anymore. Does anyone have any data for Kansas they would be willing to share? Is that data hosted somewhere else that I can point TS?Dondo

That's a problem, in that the USGS closed down the original hosting location and wingwithwires also closed (or is no longer hosting the assigned files). Frank Racis produced a set of discs with all of the USGS data, then shipped out copies to all of us who were willing to cover his duplication and shipping costs. Today, when we need to generate a new scenery area, we use Frank's system to automatically install the appropriate files into TerraScene. TerraScene detects them, then rendering begins.Also, pre-existing projects (such as my Carolinas, Ohio, and Arizona projects) can be downloaded with all the files included for scenery-generation.What area are you trying to render?

Randall Rocke

That's a problem, in that the USGS closed down the original hosting location and wingwithwires also closed (or is no longer hosting the assigned files). Frank Racis produced a set of discs with all of the USGS data, then shipped out copies to all of us who were willing to cover his duplication and shipping costs. Today, when we need to generate a new scenery area, we use Frank's system to automatically install the appropriate files into TerraScene. TerraScene detects them, then rendering begins.Also, pre-existing projects (such as my Carolinas, Ohio, and Arizona projects) can be downloaded with all the files included for scenery-generation.What area are you trying to render?
Randall,How large were the CD's that Frank created? Are there multiple files on those disks, or do they have one large file per CD? We might be able to do something to make those available to all via FTP.

I am trying to work on south central Kansas. From about the Oklahoma border up to Salina. They would be globe tiles:185,157186,157187,157187,156186,156Although, given the opportunity, I would render all of Kansas if possible. Once upon a time, I did just that. However those CD's are long gone.If FTP is possible, that would be great, otherwise I would send disks and/or shipping postage to whomever has that data.Dondo

Randall,How large were the CD's that Frank created? Are there multiple files on those disks, or do they have one large file per CD? We might be able to do something to make those available to all via FTP.
Hi Allen,It would be wonderful if Avsim could help us eventually host this data in some fashion! Here is some information on Frank's collection:
  • His original data set included 10 CDs. He added another 6 CDs with missing information and elevation data for a total of 16 CDs.
  • With the advent of DVD-ROM, he was able to compact all of these into "CD folders" and placed them on a set of 3 DVDs.
  • His 1st DVD also included the TerraScene 2 program from Todd Klaus. Minus his copy of TerraScene, I currently store all of Frank's collection on one of my hard drives. This folder contains 9.61 GB of data.

A side note - Todd's actual TerraScene 2.1 program appears to be one of those items missing from the Avsim file library. I have not been able to reach him yet, though another Fly! forum member has indicated that he appears to be listed with LinkedIn. As I am a LinkedIn member, I'll try to contact him there when I am on vacation in a couple of weeks and see if I can obtain permission to re-upload his TerraScene program to the library.The TS program was capable of accessing the original USGS data online (including the 7.5m data hosted by wingswithwires), and automatically download the proper data for rendering the project area. If the data can be hosted via FTP to do the same thing (it would have to be organized in the proper manner for TS to recognize it), then the program could be pointed at Avsim for the downloads).Frank has a unique setup - an executable program with each disc set checks the project file in TerraScene, then installs the proper files to the TS data folders. With map files showing which disc sets to download for their project, users might be able to download just the data sets they need, then run Frank's program. Every time they needed a different data set, they could download the new data from Avsim and save it. This way, everyone wouldn't be downloading the entire set, and would eventually build up their data folders or discs.

I am trying to work on south central Kansas. From about the Oklahoma border up to Salina. They would be globe tiles:185,157186,157187,157187,156186,156Although, given the opportunity, I would render all of Kansas if possible. Once upon a time, I did just that. However those CD's are long gone.If FTP is possible, that would be great, otherwise I would send disks and/or shipping postage to whomever has that data.Dondo
Dondo,I have to make a trip for a couple of days, but if you would contact me through the forum mail system, we can exchange e-mails. I'll contact you when I return. The best way for you to do this would be to send me your project files. Then, I can ascertain the exact files you need and see what the size would be for transmission. I'll also be happy to work out an arrangement for sending a copy of the collection.

Randall Rocke

There are about 100,000 files across the 3 disks. A bit of repacking could get this down to the 30-40,000 range, but that's not really any easier to deal with. The CDs are divided by region, but because some parts are on the "extra" CDs, this means most people will would need to download 3 CDs to get started.If you host by individual file, I could make a new version of ScenCopy that would download from Avsim instead of reading from the CD drive./Frank

There are about 100,000 files across the 3 disks. A bit of repacking could get this down to the 30-40,000 range, but that's not really any easier to deal with. The CDs are divided by region, but because some parts are on the "extra" CDs, this means most people will would need to download 3 CDs to get started.If you host by individual file, I could make a new version of ScenCopy that would download from Avsim instead of reading from the CD drive./Frank
That's a good idea Frank - good to see that you're still lurking!

Randall Rocke