Sign in to follow this  
cmpbellsjc

Question about EDDF - Frankfurt Int'l

I hardly ever fly in Europe despite have a few addons for it. However today I was in the mood to try a short flight from Zurich LSZH to EDDF. In fact I enjoyed the trip so mush that I made the round trip 3 times. Anyway, the problem was that EDDF has changed the ILS freq of 25R and the stock ADE doesn't reflect it. No problem, I can either download a new ADE file from Jim Cook or Ray Smith, or simply fix it myself.The problem is however, ATC lists the runways 25L, 25R, 7L, 7R, 18, 36, and a mysterious runway 26L/08R that is 8208 feet long. Obviously that runway isn't physically there and looking at an airport chart it is not listed either. I figured I would just download Ray Smiths offering and just go with it rather that messing with it myself. I found that his ADE also has the same thing listed with this 26L/08R runway and there is even a start point 1/2 down 25L for it. Is this how it is in real life or is it still an error?I have tried to get rid of this runway in ADE by deleting the start point, but that hasn't fixed it. I would be interested to know if anyone else has a work around to get rid of 26L/08R and keep it from showing up in the ATC screen.Thanks in advance.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Taking a look at Google Earth with the latest images being from 2005, 26L is actually part of 25L. It may have something to do with part of the airport still being used for military purposes and they only list that runway. You can see typical end and aimpoint markings to delieneate it as the end and touchdown zone.

ng_driver.jpg

Supporter GhostRecon.net | AGgReSsion

WhiteKnight77's Place

Mike Shannon

Guest NoNewMessages

It's there, because Microsoft put it there, for a reason. But I don't recall the specifics as to why. Don't tend to get out of the CONUS in my flying.Before you mess things up, I would suggest a search of Frankfurt/EDDF at FS Developer or asking in the airport design forum there.

It's there, because Microsoft put it there, for a reason.
Well sometimes MS puts things in places where there not supposed to be, that's why I was asking.In this case after looking at the google images WhiteKnight77 suggested, it appears that it is like that in real life. I had figured that it was just an error when the original file was put together and since I don't know much about that airport it lead me to ask. I hadn't looked at google maps prior to posting, but I did look at an airport diagram of EDDF and it didn't make any mention of 26LI found a post at FS Developer that says that the runway is used for a/c to takeoff from based on the a/c's weight.As far as messing anything up, its pretty hard to do with and ADE since the original always remains unchanged. Now I just need to update the ILS freqs for 25R and I will be all set.

Guest 413X3

didn't they just rename the runways from 25 to 26?

didn't they just rename the runways from 25 to 26?
That's what I had thought at first, but it seems to be intentional that 25L also is considered 26L starting about 1/2 way down the runway. Believe it or not, even though it is physically the same runway, it has two different ILS frequencies and I am assuming two different glide slopes that will put you down at midfield if you choose the one for 26L. From what I am guessing, the 26L approach is desgined for lighter a/c and 25L and 25R are for heavier a/c. Funny that in all these years I had never noticed that before, but then again I dont fly in Europe often.POST EDIT: Just found some info from a slightly older Jepp chart.2.4.1. LANDING THR 26L2.4.1.1. GENERALSecond landing THR 26L established on RWY 25L in connection with the High ApproachLanding System (HALS).The HALS offers the possibility to reduce wake turbulence separation for ACFT ofcategories Medium or Light to the permissible Radar separation minima. For thispurpose, RWY 25L is provided with a second landing THR designated as 26L.2.4.1.2. DESCRIPTION OF THE SECOND LANDING THR 26LThreshold 26L is only permitted for landings of ACFT with a maximum certifiedtake-off mass of less than 136,000 kg. THR 26L is displaced by 4921'/1500m fromlanding THR 25L. Simultaneous operation of two THRs on one RWY is not permitted.2.4.1.3. MARKINGS AND LIGHTINGFor operation on THR 26L, special markings and lighting are installed which deviatefrom the ‘Guidelines for the Markings and Lighting at APTs’, as well as ICAO.For detailed depiction refer to page 10-9H.Lighting for THR 26L, including PAPI, will be kept working together with the edgeand centerline lights while operations are being conducted. Approach-, THR- and TDZlighting 25L, as well as PAPI 25L, will be turned off when THR 26L is in operation.