Sign in to follow this  
Guest Cramer

Computer shutting down

Guest Cramer

Hello there!Something really weard is going on here in the past few days. I've never had any kind of problem with my system and FS. Many friends comes to me complaining about their usual problems and I luckly never had any. Until now. My computer is shuting down with any reason in some situations. I notice this problem with two sceneries. I don't know if it's just the tip of the iceberg for what but that's the fact. Today I was trying to take off from Sao Paulo with my PSS 777 and when I was starting the take off the computer shutted down. Same thing earlier, I was on final approach a the same airport and same thing happend after a 3,5h flight. Anyway. A friend mine sent me an monitor to observe the computer behave and that's what I got:Seems normal to me so it looks like it's not an hardware issue. Could anyone give me one light here?Let me make it more clear...I notice this problem with two different sceneries. One time with RealCDG (LFPG) and a few more with an scenery of Guarulhos (SBGR) that I have here...my point is: two different things that I guess have nothing in common.

First thing I would check is the motherboard battery. I had the same problem on a previous computer and after replacing the battery everything was fine after that. Next thing would be the power supply. What are your specs there? An overtaxed or aging power supply could be the culprit. Barring these two solutions nothing else comes to mind right now.Maurice

Guest Cramer
First thing I would check is the motherboard battery. I had the same problem on a previous computer and after replacing the battery everything was fine after that. Next thing would be the power supply. What are your specs there? An overtaxed or aging power supply could be the culprit. Barring these two solutions nothing else comes to mind right now.Maurice
Hello Maurice,Well my specs is that you can see on my signature. And my power suply is a preatty good one and very strong. I don't understand a peace of this but they tould me to get a "real 500W" (or 600?) and I did. I had such problem with power suply with a previous computer and I could smell like something was burning right after the shutting down and it was happining only with FS open. And plus, I don't think it's an overheating problem because it's winter here. It's not a hot day, it's like 20-24

Hello Maurice,Well my specs is that you can see on my signature. And my power suply is a preatty good one and very strong. I don't understand a peace of this but they tould me to get a "real 500W" (or 600?) and I did. I had such problem with power suply with a previous computer and I could smell like something was burning right after the shutting down and it was happining only with FS open. And plus, I don't think it's an overheating problem because it's winter here. It's not a hot day, it's like 20-24

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

Guest Cramer
What i do (I don't really know if it helps or not but I feel better anyway)when FS9 has been running well for a good period of time I make a system restore point labelled something like "FS running well" a week later "FS still running smoothly"etc etc
Well that's a good idea...hopefuly it's not a motherboard problem...if so it's gonna hurt in my poket because probably I'd need to buy a whole new system. Well, the thing is: I just landed at EDDF with the Aerosoft (which is a much more heavy scenery for the system than that stupid Sao Paulo one) plus PSS 773 and everything was just fine. Hard to understand. Let's be positive and hope for a scenery problem only. By the way, could a scenery problem shut my computer down? :(

quoteBy the way, could a scenery problem shut my computer down?end quoteDoubtful that a scenery would actually shut down a computer - a crash to the desktop - yes - but I have never heard of a scenery causing a true "shutdown".But in the world of computers I suppose anything is possible.Good luck.

quoteBy the way, could a scenery problem shut my computer down?end quoteDoubtful that a scenery would actually shut down a computer - a crash to the desktop - yes - but I have never heard of a scenery causing a true "shutdown".But in the world of computers I suppose anything is possible.Good luck.
About six months ago I had the exact same problem--I was ready to replace the motherboard. However, I had read anecdotal reports of dust causing heating issues, and in today's modern computers, dust isn't always visible to the naked eye, especially in the psu. I had never seen dust cause such a problem before, but in the back of my mind it made sense.Anyway, a couple months back I got fed up, so I took a spray can of compressed air and gave a thorough dusting of my system, including inside the power supply. I immediately went from having 2-3 spontaneous shutdowns a day in a fairly cool time of year to none since.There are good computer technicians out there and bad ones--it is just like the car repair industry. I was an in-house computer tech and WAN admin for some time and although the technology has changed since then, the basics haven't. Always start with a thorough cleaning with a can of compressed air to get dust out of the system--advice I should have instinctively followed. So many techs are all too eager to want to replace your motherboard, cpu, hard drive and any other big ticket item they can get their hands on. Regards,JohnEdit: I should also mention, my shutdowns would often happen without any application running, just while sitting idle.

Hello Maurice,Well my specs is that you can see on my signature. And my power suply is a preatty good one and very strong. I don't understand a peace of this but they tould me to get a "real 500W" (or 600?) and I did.
Sorry I wasn't more clear on what specs I was asking for, I meant the power supply make, model and power ratings etc. I've seen many power supplies from off brand companies overstate their ratings. In any case a good cleaning with a can of compressed air is also a good place to start as previous posters have already stated. And keep in mind that even top quality power supplies can still go bad. Sporadic shutdowns such as yours will take a little troubleshooting. Good luck.Maurice

Well that's a good idea...hopefuly it's not a motherboard problem...if so it's gonna hurt in my poket because probably I'd need to buy a whole new system. Well, the thing is: I just landed at EDDF with the Aerosoft (which is a much more heavy scenery for the system than that stupid Sao Paulo one) plus PSS 773 and everything was just fine. Hard to understand. Let's be positive and hope for a scenery problem only. By the way, could a scenery problem shut my computer down? :(
I don't see why you would have to buy a complete new system.When my MB failed I just had to replace that and my pc has been fine(touchwood)ever since.The only thing that maybe a drawback and make your costs higher than mine is your setup is a newer one and therefore a replacement MB might cost moreI.E MINE=Single P4,Nvidea 6600Gt gCARD and the usual blah!HOWEVER it runs FS9 very well and I have no desire for something newer as I would only be interested In FSX and it seems that even today's hardware still seems to struggle somewhat in running it.Apologies I am wafflingI am almost certain I am correct in thinking that a scenery error would not cause your PC to shutdown....lockup yes or force an FS restart perhaps.If I were you I would get a can of compressed air and give your PCs innards a damm good blasting.I believe that some PC components cause shutdowns to protect them from overheating.Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077