Sign in to follow this  
waleed

? Real life experts

Guest 413X3
Forgive me for being the nay sayer here, but if they wanted to get it somewhere in a hurry why wouldnt they just stick it on a cargo flight and ship it that way, seems it would take less time and money. I see trucks even all the time hauling GE90's down the highway.
How would sending an extremely heavy engine on a freighter be less expensive than just sticking it on a revenue flight already going to that location?
Not if there are no cargo flights available and you wanted the engine there yesterday (because of stranded passengers). Less money? Debateable. How much does 9670lbs of airfreight cost these days? In the case of the second photo, the Vth Pod was fitted to an aircraft going on a normal scheduled flight. There are dedicated engineering crews for this job who fly with the aircraft, so, of course, you have to consider possible loss of commercial seats, cost of hotel accommodation, etc.Cheers.Q>
I just wanted to say I always get a chuckle when looking at your avatar picture

Forgive me for being the nay sayer here, but if they wanted to get it somewhere in a hurry why wouldnt they just stick it on a cargo flight and ship it that way, seems it would take less time and money. I see trucks even all the time hauling GE90's down the highway.
Example.....Say you have an engine out and a diversion to some place like Yellowknife, NWT or Attu, AK. You're going to have to get an aircraft there to rescue your stranded pax and you're also going to have to get a replacement engine up to a very out of the way place that doesn't see regular air service. Why not kill two birds with one stone by using a ferry pod on one aircraft instead of sending up two aircraft to do the same job?