Sign in to follow this  
acmech

Is the ATI 4650 the fsx video card solution?

I was looking around in the Aerosoft forums which I was actually looking for information on their work in progress, when I came upon this topic http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?showtopic=30796Has anyone here put this ATI 4650 card to the test with fsx recently?
Here is how the numbers stack up, against the last generation Nvidia GTX260 216the 4650 does not look that good to be honest.Source: http://www.gpureview.com/show_cards.php?card1=580&card2=577ATI 4650Core Clock: 600 MHzShader Clock: 600 MHzMemory Clock: 500 MHz (1000 DDR)Memory Bandwidth: 16 GB/secFLOPS: 384 GFLOPSPixel Fill Rate: 4800 MPixels/secTexture Fill Rate: 19200 MTexels/secGTX260 216spCore Clock: 576 MHzShader Clock: 1240 MHzMemory Clock: 999 MHz (1998 DDR)Memory Bandwidth: 111.888 GB/secFLOPS: 803.52 GFLOPSPixel Fill Rate: 16128 MPixels/secTexture Fill Rate: 41472 MTexels/sec

I see your point, Although it states in the aerosoft topic that, FSX actually works harder or slower with faster video cards.

HelloLooking at ebay it might be worth picking one up cheap just to put this old chestnut to bed once and for all.

Yes , I picked one up at newegg for $56 with free shipping. Hoping the best :Big Grin:

Yes , I picked one up at newegg for $56 with free shipping. Hoping the best :Big Grin:
Hello Please post your findings this will be of interest to all of us that thought Mathijswas wrong on this card.

My experience with ATI (4850 it was): Great picture quality, good with scenery and ground - it SUCKS BIG TIME with clouds. It couldn't cope with clouds Fly into a cloud or have an overcast sky = framerate/2.

I should receive the card by the weekend or early next week .After, some tests, I will post my findings.Current System specs: Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Gulftown 3.33GHz Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler G.SKILL Trident 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Triple Channel ASRock X58 Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard (fs9/fsx and windows xp pro 32 bit sp3) Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2MH160G2R5 2.5" 160GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)(back up) Intel X25-V SSDSA2MP040G2R5 2.5" 40GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) Radeon HD 5870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Power color HD 5870 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Creative 70SB073A00000 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Acer GD235HZbid Black/orange 23.6" 2ms Widescreen 1080p 120Hz NVIDIA 3D Vision LCD Monitor Diablotek PHD Series PHD750 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

My experience with ATI (4850 it was): Great picture quality, good with scenery and ground - it SUCKS BIG TIME with clouds. It couldn't cope with clouds Fly into a cloud or have an overcast sky = framerate/2.
I had that same problem with windows 7 64 bit in fs9.I went back to xp pro and saw everything good again with my clouds using the ati 4870 2gb.

Guest TomOOO
I was looking around in the Aerosoft forums which I was actually looking for information on their work in progress, when I came upon this topic http://www.forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?showtopic=30796Has anyone here put this ATI 4650 card to the test with fsx recently?
I had the chance earlier this year to "test" FSX on my wife's workcomputer with the 4560 ATI card (i7-720QM) and found it was OK withFSX. I was able to max all the scenery - but as someone noted, itseams it can choke a little with REX2 clouds at full 4096 resolutiontextures. I now have my own computer with the 456v (mobile equivalent) of this card with the computer in my signature. With ******* Altuve's FSX.CFGI am getting locked 30 fps with REX2.0, GEX, UTX at Heathrow withAA and AF done in the card (yes I know I have read the documentation). I have so far tested with FSX traffic at 30/30and it seams OK and still 30 fps with occasional 20 fps. Not a good card - but it works well with the tweaked .cfg file . I can even run water at 2xmedium overlakes - but have to drop back to 1x over the sea.

did I get it right and you are running a 6GB Ram machine on a 32 bit OS?if so you are wasting like half your memory there

I should receive the card by the weekend or early next week .After, some tests, I will post my findings.Current System specs:Intel Core i7-980X Extreme Edition Gulftown 3.33GHz Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler G.SKILL Trident 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Triple Channel ASRock X58 Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard (fs9/fsx and windows xp pro 32 bit sp3)Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2MH160G2R5 2.5" 160GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)(back up)Intel X25-V SSDSA2MP040G2R5 2.5" 40GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) Radeon HD 5870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Power color HD 5870 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireXCreative 70SB073A00000 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamerAcer GD235HZbid Black/orange 23.6" 2ms Widescreen 1080p 120Hz NVIDIA 3D Vision LCD MonitorDiablotek PHD Series PHD750 750W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply

dazz,You are pretty good at pointing out the obvious about my ram, but maybe you should focus on the details,where if you had read the previsous post to this thread, I replied and stated that I use to have windows 7 64bit installed.So yes, I know xp only uses half of the ram I have installed ,athough xp works better for me.

Ok, sorry about that.If your problem is performance in thick clouds, why don't you try *******' 3.0 Shader mod? you might then be able to go back to W7 64b if you want to, that isI used to have a 5770. Didnt try the shaders mod though. There's also tweak to make Vsync work ith ATI cards (also a ******* tweak)The only problem left with that should be then running anything above 4x AA.I couldn't run 8x without a massive performance hitI'm pretty sure there's nothing especial with that particular card. None of the cards I've tried performed any different than the rest (5770, GTX260, GTX285, GTX265, GTX460), not even OCed or downclocked.

dazz,You are pretty good at pointing out the obvious about my ram, but maybe you should focus on the details,where if you had read the previsous post to this thread, I replied and stated that I use to have windows 7 64bit installed.So yes, I know xp only uses half of the ram I have installed ,athough xp works better for me.

Dazz,No problem, I didn't mean it in a bad way.I will see how this card responds once I get it and install it.Even in the worst case, I will now have another back up video card. I will post my results as soon as I can."If your problem is performance in thick clouds, why don't you try *******' 3.0 Shader mod"This would probably work but, the fact is the problem was in fs9 . I use fs9 most of time Although, if this card gets nice results with fsx, I will start using fsx more often and use your advise ,Thanks.

Damn, I missed that too in your other post.Hope it works great

the fact is the problem was in fs9