Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest prm510

Add On Scenery Query

Guest prm510

Hi all!I am sure there are a bazillion of these on this board so if you don't want to answer this question and can link me to some solutions that's just fine, I won't be offended!Like many before me I am sure I am having a heck of a time with the add on scenery in FSX SP1. I've tried creating my own sub folders, re-installing NOT in the Program Files folder and still I have this issue.First off I am running XP SP3 the problem is I DL some sweet upgraded airports (KBOS for example) and follow the instructions in the read me file to the tee. I fire up FSX, go to settings, click Add Area, Add On Scenery, click the scenery folder where my new airport .bpl should be at and....there is nothing there but a nice white box. It's extremely irritating, as good as FSX's airports are...I like many of you I am sure, love super realism, and it's annoying me that this is happening. So I have decided since I am a newbie to the forum, to post up. Mind you I have owned all the prior FS series and had no problem...this is the first issue I have had with any of the Flight Simulators in terms of add ons.Suggestions, ideas or links?You may be able to understand what I am speaking of if you look at the screen shot I attachedThanks In advance!

'Addon Scenery' is pre-activated, or at least it is by default, so that anything you drop into the Addon Scenery\Scenery folder is automatically active.Edit: just to make it clear, you activate folders in the scenery library, you don't need to -- and you can't -- activate individual BGLs.

Guest prm510
'Addon Scenery' is pre-activated, or at least it is by default, so that anything you drop into the Addon Scenery\Scenery folder is automatically active.Edit: just to make it clear, you activate folders in the scenery library, you don't need to -- and you can't -- activate individual BGLs.
Gotcha, did that now when I go to use the airport should I select search add on scenery?

Jus to add to this, in FSX your scenery can be located ANYWHERE. On another disk, in anotherset of folders. It doesn't matter, as long as you activate the scenery by pointing tothe FOLDER that CONTAINS the "scenery" folder, and in some cases also a "texture" folder.So the folder structure is: My_New_Scenery .... scenery .... texture Another_airport ....scenery To activate those above you select "My_New_Scenery" and "Another_airport" in the Add menu.That is, you do not select the "scenery" folder to activate it's contents. You selectthe folder that CONTAINS the "scenery" folder. The contents of the ""Addon Scenery\scenery"" folder, as the previous reply points out,are automatically activated since FSX automatically adds the Addon Scenery folder. Paul

Guest prm510
Jus to add to this, in FSX your scenery can be located ANYWHERE. On another disk, in anotherset of folders. It doesn't matter, as long as you activate the scenery by pointing tothe FOLDER that CONTAINS the "scenery" folder, and in some cases also a "texture" folder.So the folder structure is: My_New_Scenery .... scenery .... texture Another_airport ....scenery To activate those above you select "My_New_Scenery" and "Another_airport" in the Add menu.That is, you do not select the "scenery" folder to activate it's contents. You selectthe folder that CONTAINS the "scenery" folder. The contents of the ""Addon Scenery\scenery"" folder, as the previous reply points out,are automatically activated since FSX automatically adds the Addon Scenery folder. Paul
Sweet! That's what I thought, so I did that, now when I go to free fly, I know there is the Default Radio button or Search Add On radio button when choosing an airport. I did install airport updates, would those show up if I clicked on the Add On radio button?If that is the case, there is nothing in there when I click on it (and I have restarted FSX) if not then, I guess I'm ready to roll!

Sweet! That's what I thought, so I did that, now when I go to free fly, I know there is the Default Radio button or Search Add On radio button when choosing an airport. I did install airport updates, would those show up if I clicked on the Add On radio button?If that is the case, there is nothing in there when I click on it (and I have restarted FSX) if not then, I guess I'm ready to roll!
No - the default setting is "search default scenery" (see screenshot) and that is correct. The other option (search add-on scenery) is only used for some very "old" airport enhancements which did not use the usual protocols. You likely will never need to use that option.If you installed your airport/scenery enhancements correctly, they will be available using the default settings.