Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

badderjet

Organizing files'n'folders...

Hey folks,as I am just rearranging a lot of stuff on a few HDs I thought my folder "organization" is really not very useful. I was wondering if there is a more elegant way for e. g. the following:i) I could create a subfolder "Aviation" under My Files. Inside I want to have pics, docs, etc... and other stuff, so I would have subfolders for these things inside.ii) OTOH, I could have seperate "Aviation" subfolders under all of those default "My Pictures", "My Documents", etc. folders.Maybe Aviation is not a very realistic example but it could be just about anything else. Nevertheless, either way I come up with redundant folders, either many "aviation" subfolders or multiple "pictures", "docs" folders for different topics (assuming that aviation is of course not the only topic). And either way is stupid depending on what I want to do. Say I want to browse all my pictures, that's stupid because my Aviation pics are not within the default "My Pics" folder. In the other case, when I want to browse Aviation related stuff, all those files would be spreaded among all the "My ...whatever" folders.I think the general problem is how to organize folders in a way they have multiple attributes, so to speak: "pics" AND "aviation" (and maybe even more).Now I thought I might dare to ask if someone knows a third (or fourth, fifth...) way to make this process more elegant, better yet, efficient. I am looking for an improved folder structure. Since if we are talking about many many different topics with a couple thousand associated filed things get really really messy.Thanks for any input, as it is greatly appreciated. :(

I find it neater to keep pics to a pics type of folder. Makes it easier to find it. Still, inside the pics folder, there is no reason to not have sub folders for a particular interest. Keep aviation pics in an aviation folder, keep family pics in a family folder etc. Same goes for other types of files. Books or papers can be separated out into their own folders with the sub folders for each subject.