Sign in to follow this  
Ed

fs200..../zonealarm

Guest contrail

This problem seems to have just started recently.Lately i've noticed that my cable modem drops out afterduring completion of "longer" flights. I have used both FSmeteo and WXre but have same results with both so I don't think it is the weather programs causing this. Are there settings in the latest version of zonealarm that may need tweaked to prevent this? To regain internet access I was just restarting my computer but today I tryed to deactivate zonealarm and in doing so regained my internet access. I'm new to cable modemsrouters and such so any information as to possible cause would be appreciated. Is this a firewall issue or perhaps(due to using FS for a long period of time)a resource(memory leak?)problem.ThanksSystem spec.AMD 1800+soltec motherboard512 ddr pc2100gf3 w128meg nv44.03dlink DI-614 routertoshiba cable modemlatest version of zonealarm

Guest EIDUB

Hey there,I am using FS2004, zonealarm and running on cable via a wireless connection. I have not noticed any of the symptoms that you notice but I would suggest the obvious thing's like updating zonealarm to version 4 I believe. And update your network card drivers.I hope this helps in some way.Regards,Stephen

Guest contrail

Thanks StephanI uninstalledreinstalled ZA with the latest version but see no new upgrades for network drivers. I have 2 systems in a home network, one using XP(cable modem with NICwireless router)the other WIN98 with a wireless adapter. I have the freeware version of zonealarm on both systems but believe I read somewhere that only the FULL version will provide security on individual systems in a network(trying to run the freeware version on both systems at the same time along with hardware firewall, conflict???). I'm just wondering now if perhaps the built-in firewall in my networkcable modem hardware would be sufficient for security and just turn off ZA when using FS200*.

Guest contrail

I'll look into that Ed. Thank you.

Guest contrail

Well I uninstalled Zonealarm and installed Outpost. Halfway during the test-flight from SEA to LAX I get an Outpost alarm asking for it to allow a "cfd.exe". I went to open my browser and sure enough it would not open.....until I gave this program the OK.Doing a google search some state it's just some type of software that's included with many cable modems, no big deal, others say it's spyware. Perhaps it came up a while back when I had zonealarm installed and I chose not to allow it, thus causing internet shutdowns i've been getting lately????????? Ed or anyone else, are you familiar with this "cfd.exe"? Is it safe to allow or if I decide not to allow will I continue to have these internet shut-down problems?Thanks again

Guest Ken_Salter

I have a cable modem - I did not install any software to make it work.Also I have a wireless router that hooks into the cable modem. It has a built in firewall - so I'm not sure why you want to run a software firewall also - seems a bit redundant to me.http://saltydogfly2.avsim.net/images/avsim_sig.jpg"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams."

Hi,Cfd.exe is just broadband troubleshooting software and is not needed. It can be removed via add/remove programs.Ed

One thing you might try is to remove either ZA or your hardware firewall. It is not recommened to run 2 firewalls there is a good chance of conflict.I run ZA without any problems but I run FS on a second PC that is not directly connected to the Internet but is networked to the 'Net connected PC and uses Widefs to talk to that PC.HTH

Guest contrail

Thanks all for the help. seems to be ok now.