Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

vb1

reinstall FSX problem

I have read the other posts about reinstalling FSX after upgrading a computer. I am trying the method of renaming the old FSX installation and installing a new copy. I have eliminsted any referance to FSX in the registry. renamed the app files and doc files. I have renamed FSX.exe and yet when I put in the FSX disk it comes up with the choices of uninstall or repair. What is it seeing that makes it think FSX is installed? What am I missing?vb1

Try using CCleaner, it´s free-ware as I recall, should shred old remnants.
I've used two registry cleaners already, does this do more. Also, if I have FSX renamed on another drive will this think it needs cleaned?VB1

Guest firehawk44
I have read the other posts about reinstalling FSX after upgrading a computer. I am trying the method of renaming the old FSX installation and installing a new copy. I have eliminsted any referance to FSX in the registry. renamed the app files and doc files. I have renamed FSX.exe and yet when I put in the FSX disk it comes up with the choices of uninstall or repair. What is it seeing that makes it think FSX is installed? What am I missing?vb1
Looks like you have done all you need to do but there must be something left in the registry that you missed or your registry cleaner missed. There's a folder in the Program Data directory too. Renaming directories, etc., is one way but not the easiest way to keep a copy of FSX on your harddrive as a backup. If you have the hard disk space, an easier way is to simply copy FSX and all desired addons to another harddrive and use it as a backup. Then you can completely uninstall FSX and reinstall it then move any addon's you had back to the new installation.In response to your last post: "I've used two registry cleaners already, does this do more. Also, if I have FSX renamed on another drive will this think it needs cleaned?": No.Best regards,Jim

I ran ccleaner with no obvious FSX items found. I removed and renamed the Progran data files. My primary huge FSX progam file is on the D drive with a new name and FSX.exe renamed. If I click on uninstall on the intallation disk what will it uninstall? I have run file finder on all my drives looking for any FSX file and found no other source. I ran FSX fix and it finds no listing in the registry. Thanks for your attention.VB1