Sign in to follow this  
Guest jonathand

problems with landing and otto

Guest jonathand

I use otta to fly my acft during the flight. When I start my approaches to my destination there are times when Otto will wait to give control back to me until I am cleared to land and at other times Otto gives the control back to me as soon as approach gives me my final alttitude and heading to intercept the glide slope. Why does it vary as to when he gives control back to me. Also when I get control back early on and I hit the APP button instead of lining up with the ILS my aircraft just immediatly starts dropping and the altitude switch immediatly turns off. Can anyone help.Thanks

I use otta to fly my acft during the flight. When I start my approaches to my destination there are times when Otto will wait to give control back to me until I am cleared to land and at other times Otto gives the control back to me as soon as approach gives me my final alttitude and heading to intercept the glide slope. Why does it vary as to when he gives control back to me. Also when I get control back early on and I hit the APP button instead of lining up with the ILS my aircraft just immediatly starts dropping and the altitude switch immediatly turns off. Can anyone help.Thanks
depending on the angle of approach, otto may give you the controls earlier or later. also depends on whether there is a approach controller, and/or tower controller.you need to be below the localizer, to engage the ils/app autopilot buttons. otherwise the plane will seek to join the localizer below you. that's an aircraft, fs thing not an rc thingjd

When you are on the intercept vector controlling the aircraft via HDG/SPD/ALT on the AP MCP you need to do three things:1. On the LOC coming alive check its ident to insure it is the correct one. There is a bug in FS default airports where the back course is enabled on all LOCs. If the frequency is the same at both ends of the runway each with its own LOC/ILS, you'll be picking up the incorrect one giving reverse LOC and the incorrect GS indications.2. As the LOC indicator start moving adjust your HDG control to turn your aircraft inbound and first engage your VOR/LOC control.3. If the GS indicator is not above the center line but below you'll have to descend your aircraft manually until it is just above center before engaging APP to capture the GS.If going into airports surrounded by difficult terrain RC might bring you in too high. Use the NOTAMS RC preflight option so you can deviate from commanded altitudes. If you have the charts you can elect an IAP after approach contacts you and you ack the suggested runway. This lets you fly the approach with using your own navigation and RC will not monitor you or issue commands until you are on final. Otto should not be used in these cases.