Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BigRick

Strange temporary freezing in FSX

Well, this one is rather strange. I'm having a problem with FSX freezing intermittently when it's loaded. I've download a program to watch the process and have discovered a weird thing. FSX normally runs at about 80-90% processor usage on my dual-core processor. Now, when the jumping starts (doesn't completely freeze, just drops to about 1fps) the processor usage drops to between 40-50%. This will go on for anywhere from 1-5 minutes and it will unstick and return to 80-90% usage. Anyone else experiencing this and have they solved it? I've updated all drivers (board, graphics, sound etc) with no change. There are days when it will NOT occur. Then, it just starts again. I can find no underlying cause. Anyone help? Thanx!-Rick

Well, this one is rather strange. I'm having a problem with FSX freezing intermittently when it's loaded. I've download a program to watch the process and have discovered a weird thing. FSX normally runs at about 80-90% processor usage on my dual-core processor. Now, when the jumping starts (doesn't completely freeze, just drops to about 1fps) the processor usage drops to between 40-50%. This will go on for anywhere from 1-5 minutes and it will unstick and return to 80-90% usage. Anyone else experiencing this and have they solved it? I've updated all drivers (board, graphics, sound etc) with no change. There are days when it will NOT occur. Then, it just starts again. I can find no underlying cause. Anyone help? Thanx!-Rick
Hi Rick,I would start by running Task Manager alongside FSX.Click on the Processes tab and monitor cpu usage - might give you a clue as to what is eating up your system's resources at the expense of FSX.Mike

Hi Rick,I would start by running Task Manager alongside FSX.Click on the Processes tab and monitor cpu usage - might give you a clue as to what is eating up your system's resources at the expense of FSX.Mike
That's what the process explorer I'm using does only much more in-depth. Nothing else (DLL or otherwise) is spiking on the CPU usage. It's all based around FSX's CPU usage. It's the only value that changes.

That's what the process explorer I'm using does only much more in-depth. Nothing else (DLL or otherwise) is spiking on the CPU usage. It's all based around FSX's CPU usage. It's the only value that changes.
Hi Rick,Try running:1. Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware ( http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php ) Free Version2. SUPERAntiSpyware ( http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html ) Free VersionSee if these turn anything up. Worth doing anyway - you'll be amazed at what's lurking on your system.Make sure you update both prior to running.Mike

Hi Rick,Try running:1. Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware ( http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php ) Free Version2. SUPERAntiSpyware ( http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html ) Free VersionSee if these turn anything up. Worth doing anyway - you'll be amazed at what's lurking on your system.Make sure you update both prior to running.Mike
Gave them a try. Nice tip. Nothing found but some tracking cookies and deleted those. I really cant figure this one out.-Rick

Gave them a try. Nice tip. Nothing found but some tracking cookies and deleted those. I really cant figure this one out.-Rick
Hi Rick, these are nice suggestions, but this problem has been reported numerous times here on AVSIM and the freezing is really not peculiar to your system. Folks have reported all kinds of ideas and potential fixes but it seems to lurk around most folks FSX installations. On my system, it happens after I am airborne and about 23 to 30 feet in altitude. I am sure it has nothing to do with altitude, but just some fluke inside of FSX. I can almost predict when it is going to happen on my rig I get a burp in the system and then the 1-2 minute freeze. After that, it never happens again no matter how long or short the flight and I don't get any CTD's either. Boy if someone could find whats causing this they would be a BIG hero.It annoys me to no end, but I just sit or run get a beer and wait for the focus to return to FSX and it runs perfect after the freeze, such a pain.Wish someone would find the answer.BobBob

Guest firehawk44

No one has mentioned looking at the Event Viewer to see if there are any issues there referencing FSX or a system file around the times you are having the temporary freeze. One of the first things I would do whenever FSX is acting up in any way is to rename my fsx.cfg to fsx.old (so I can bring back the orig config should things not improve), restart FSX and let the config rebuild. It's amazing how many problems have been solved in this manner. You state that there are days when the temporary freezing will not occur and I'm wondering if you're flying in another area or using another aircraft or whether you're flying in the day sometimes and at night at other times or whether the aircraft is a commercial addon or the default. It could be an addon aircraft or piece of scenery not installed correctly that's causing the problem. There are so many variables but I think you're on the right track by investigating through the use of the process explorer and other system tools. Another variable to be considered would be whether or not you are overclocking anything. I overclocked my system higher than my current 3.7GHz and it became very unstable at times so moved it back to 3.7 and haven't had a problem with FSX since. Also make sure your dotnet software is up-to-date and the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables are up-to-date too as recommended by NickN in his excellent article on setting up FSX and tuning it. Good luck!Best regards,Jim