Sign in to follow this  
OllyM

Virtual Cockpit glitch

Hi fellow Queen of the Skies users,I have been using the PMDG 747X for some time now, and have recently started (about a month ago) experiencing what I can best describe as fuzzy pixellated textures followed by system freeze after exiting the game (requiring a PC restart) when flying using the virtual cockpit. It does not happen from initial loading of the aircraft and usually not until well into the cruise phase of the flight, usually 2 or 3 hours in. It makes no difference whether I am flying at day or night, in any cockpit lighting conditions or whether the weather conditions or anything else I can think of are of a particular type.To describe the issue more fully, it only affects the PFD, ND, FMC (screen and buttons), back up instruments and gauges and the digital displays on the autopilot panel and radio stacks. They all suddenly become very "rough" looking, pixellated, scratchy etc, and seem to detach from the panel as if they are now displaying above and to one side of where they should be. Everything else appears normal apart from the mouse pointer which also turns into a broken mass of pixels.The only addons I am running alongside the PMDG 747 addon are Traffic X and REX 2.0 and nothing else. In game graphics settings are all at moderate levels and I get what I feel to be pretty decent frame rates (20-25) with these and a decent amount of in game detail. My graphics card is not overclocked and neither is my CPU and neither are overheating or struggling (that I know of) to run the simulation. Everything runs nice and smooth at all times and then "bang", awful corrupted VC textures and I have close the sim and restart. PC specs:SLi nForce 750i SLi - Intel Core2duo Quad Core MotherboardIntel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Quad Core Processor (2.66Ghz 12 MB 1333MHzWindows Vista 32 Home Premium SP28GB DDR2 800MHz (4 x 2 GB) - page file manually set to 6872 MB by performing the bcdedit thing I have found on other forums to combat low virtual memory issues. (Dont understand it but it works great!).Zotac 1024Mb GeForce GTS250 GFX Card with latest drivers installed from nvidia.All nvidia display settings are on "recommended" settings (mostly application controlled) for the game.I have hunted high and low on forums for help with this issue but haven't had any luck. I would attach a screenshot if I could but the PC freeze prevents this.Some help please as this glitch is really spoiling one of my major hobbies.Regards,Olly Mylius

Hi Olly, I normally don't ask for screenshots if I can help it, and isn't actually that needed to see you have an issue but it would interesting to see if you can get one. The default screenshot key is "V" so next time before you reboot, just try hitting V and after reboot check your flight sim pix and see if it generated one. Doubt it, but maybe.Your specs are a little weak in a couple areas, the main one that sticks out to me is the 32bit OS. Have you tried the fsx.cfg tweak:[GRAPHICS]HIGHMEMFIX=1Also, check your windows event logs and check under both System and Application. It is possible it is hardware or software. Possibly overheating which tends to lead to total PC lockups. Right after you reboot check your CPU and GPU temps.

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Hi and thanks for the fast reply,I have added the line into the cfg file and will see if it makes a difference. I have also checked the logs as you suggest and can see nothing other than an unexpected system restart. If the issue happens again I will check the temps and report back.Regards,Olly

Just curious Dan. What does the HIGHMEMFIX=1 actually do? I don't think I've heard of this one and I'm always trying to tweak things to get better performance. Might give it a go.Buzz.

Martin Buzzell

You want me to do what!!!

Email me

I can vouch for the 32-bit Vista. I have one and no bugs.

Eric Vander

Pilot and Controller Boston Virtual ATC

KATL - The plural form of cow.

KORD - Something you put in a power socket.

UNIT - Something of measure

My 747 Fuel Calculator

Just curious Dan. What does the HIGHMEMFIX=1 actually do? I don't think I've heard of this one and I'm always trying to tweak things to get better performance. Might give it a go.Buzz.
Hi Martin, The Highmemfix is the best fix to come to simmers ever in my opinion. The main issue it addressed for many of us was the disappearing texture issue but helps with other things. It's a long read but worth it if you really want to learn something.Here's the original thread here:http://forum.avsim.net/topic/280688-graphics-corruption-in-fsx-update-possible-solution-found/

i9 10920x @ 4.8 ~ MSI Creator x299 ~ 256 Gb 3600 G.Skill Trident Z Royal ~ EVGA RTX 3090ti ~ Sim drive = M.2  2-TB ~ OS drive = M.2 is 512-gb ~ 5 other Samsung Pro/Evo mix SSD's ~ EVGA 1600w ~ Win 10 Pro

Dan Prunier

Hi Dan,My original issue about the skelton seems to be resolved. However, sometimes I to toggle from VCockpit back to 2D cockpit back to VCockpit to get the PFD's to refresh. Any ideas on this?Thanks

The display units freeze when focus is lost such as opening a dialog box or MSFS map and this is a FSX'ism. Easy work around is to press A then Shift+A, just changing camera will get things moving again.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi Dave, I'm not quite sure what is tied into that issue. I first suspected .net framework or C++. I have mine up to date though and although don't have it as bad as you described did notice that my latest installation of FSX and all my addons now do have to refresh but only on the CDU. So if I were on the fuel page for instance, I would have to click a button on the CDU or minimize it and re pop it up to see change. I couldn't deal with it if it were my PFD though, ouch. Maybe it's just an FSism? I really don't know but it definitely was different in past installs for me, that I know. It might be tied into one of the many fsx.cfg tweaks I've done this install also, but afraid it doesn't help much.@Dan: I had my reply going for about 30 minutes since have been away from the comp, but in reading your responce, and like I mentioned I never seen it untill this install. An FSXism I can see, but personally I think it may be one that we create for ourselves somehow. Or just a random fsism perhaps.

Dan Prunier

To (hopefully) put the original issue to bed, I have monitored the core temps (all 4 between 60 and 70 degrees while running the simulation) and manually fixed the graphics card fan speed to 100% at all times running FSX, plus the cfg tweak and I have not had any corrupted VC graphics since. Having flown several flights in excess of 7-8 hours sometimes I am content that one or several of these fixes has done the trick. Also I am now running the simulation 100% full screen mode (as I did sometimes run in windowed mode so I could check msn/internet etc during the long cruises). In full screen mode things run a LOT smoother.Many thanks Dan for helping me be a happy Queen of the Skies user once again.RegardsOlly Mylius

Hi again guys,Unfortunately I need to re-open this thread as the problem described in the original post has reared its ugly head again, only this time I have managed to get a screenshot.2011-5-14_17-4-58-113.jpgI have used the fantastic Bojote tweaking and tuning tool and tried just about all of the recommended options listed, dawn/dusk texture smoothing off, highmemfix=1, stale buffer thrshold etc and nothing makes a difference. The only thing I have noticed is that this issue always occurs during dawn/dusk periods of flight. However it does still happen just about 100% of the time even during day and night except it takes longer to occur. Having timed the issue from initial load of the flight to crash out it's roughly 2 hours. My CPU is not overheating (40-45°C on all cores) and my GPU is also fine. I always start with the Cessna and then select the 747 once all is stable. Settings are far from maxed in game and it only occurs using the PMDG 747X so I am assuming the following:The PMDG aircraft is consuming too much memory and slowly reaches a sort of saturation point and then forces the PC to give up. Or;I have to concede that although initially my 32 bit OS is enough, but it's not if I want to conduct lengthy flights and therefore need to upgrade to a 64 bit OS so I can make use of the 8GB of RAM that is potentially available. However if I do that then I may as well upgrade the motherboard and processor. Financially this is not a problem, however the hassle of doing a clean install and losing everything and then having to re-install and potentially re-download all my addons plus my browser/antivirus etc makes it unattractive.So, a few further questions:If I upgrade to a new OS and motherboard/processor will I have to repurchase/re-download my copy of the PMDG 747X/REX/CLS Sydney Airport and UT2 or can I re-install for free as I would be saving the original files on my ext hard drive along with everything else? Does FSX and the current addons I own run nicely on Windows 7? Am I going to experience similar issues on an i7? Some suggestions kind forum users please... I am slowly losing my mind.Grateful thanks in advance.Olly Mylius

Hi again guys,Unfortunately I need to re-open this thread as the problem described in the original post has reared its ugly head again, only this time I have managed to get a screenshot.I have used the fantastic Bojote tweaking and tuning tool and tried just about all of the recommended options listed, dawn/dusk texture smoothing off, highmemfix=1, stale buffer thrshold etc and nothing makes a difference. The only thing I have noticed is that this issue always occurs during dawn/dusk periods of flight. However it does still happen just about 100% of the time even during day and night except it takes longer to occur. Having timed the issue from initial load of the flight to crash out it's roughly 2 hours. My CPU is not overheating (40-45°C on all cores) and my GPU is also fine. I always start with the Cessna and then select the 747 once all is stable. Settings are far from maxed in game and it only occurs using the PMDG 747X so I am assuming the following:The PMDG aircraft is consuming too much memory and slowly reaches a sort of saturation point and then forces the PC to give up. Or;I have to concede that although initially my 32 bit OS is enough, but it's not if I want to conduct lengthy flights and therefore need to upgrade to a 64 bit OS so I can make use of the 8GB of RAM that is potentially available. However if I do that then I may as well upgrade the motherboard and processor. Financially this is not a problem, however the hassle of doing a clean install and losing everything and then having to re-install and potentially re-download all my addons plus my browser/antivirus etc makes it unattractive.So, a few further questions:If I upgrade to a new OS and motherboard/processor will I have to repurchase/re-download my copy of the PMDG 747X/REX/CLS Sydney Airport and UT2 or can I re-install for free as I would be saving the original files on my ext hard drive along with everything else? Does FSX and the current addons I own run nicely on Windows 7? Am I going to experience similar issues on an i7? Some suggestions kind forum users please... I am slowly losing my mind.Grateful thanks in advance.Olly Mylius
Minus the corruption of textures I occasionaly had problems with FS2004 getting "stuck" on loading textures after a 10 hour flight and causing it to crash, in Windows XP. I switched to Windows 7 64 bit and haven't had any memory problems yet, even with my "measly" 4GB DD2-800 RAM. I think that indeed the best thing you can do is to get Windows 7 and run it from there. Vista is just a terrible excuses for an OS from M$ and I don't regret for one second skipping Vista and going straight to 7.As for upgrading and then installing the PMDG: AFAIK if you uninstall it off of your harddrive, and then reinstall it using the exe you downloaded when you purchased it, etc. (assuming you backed it up), activation should not be a problem. I've used the PMDG 747 on two computers so far, and while one is sitting in my parent's basement 3000 miles away completely fried, my laptop experiences no problems with the 747. Anything that runs under Vista generally runs on Windows 7 as far as FS is concerned... The only thing you need to look out for with a 64 bit system is that you start downloading 64-bit software and drivers. That's about it. Haven't had any problems with scenery or the like yet, so I think it works quite well...Hope I helped!Cheers,

Thanks for the response Frank.Any clues what's causing the corrupted textures within the instrument panel only though? Although I am resigned now to upgrading motherboard/processor and OS I would like some clue as to what the problem is so I dont end up with it again after a lot of money spent. Fortunately I have found the original install files for CLS Sydney, UT2 and REX, however I think I will need to buy another copy of the 747X and my Aerosoft Mega Heathrow addons.I just find it so odd how the sim runs "flawlessly", no hiccups or poor framerate, no lag for 2 hours or so and then wham... its so frustrating. Anyone else shed some light on these corrupted VC textures, other than the mountain of forum posts I have already read?Grateful thanks once again,Olly Mylius

Hi all,I think I have found a possible solution to my problem, and the following may be useful to others experiencing similar graphics corruption problems. Looking at the event logs after a crash it always refers to a Video Hardware Error, event name LiveKernelEvent. Looking this up suggests my video card drivers are corrupted or out of date, I know this to not be true in either case. Then I stumbled on a link to another forum where it mentioned something called CVT Reduced Blanking. Basically a lot of modern monitors (of the flat sceen variety) have an inherent problem talking to modern GPU's if you are connecting them via a VGA connection. This connection was designed for CRT monitors and is considered analogue, whereas modern flat screens are digital and VGA is no longer the ideal method as the monitor is forced to convert an analogue signal into a digital one. This causes issues for Windows, most notably in the vertical synching where the display can't achieve the desired vertical pixel count being demanded by the GPU at the stock screen refresh rate (due to being forced to make calculations as mentioned above), thus crashing the game/monitor/display adapter. If you create a custom screen resolution in your GPU settings (leaving everything as standard apart from going into the timing tab and instead of automatic you choose CVT Reduced Blanking, this allows the GPU to synchronise much closer to the monitor by reducing the pixel clock to an amount the monitor can handle. This should eliminate the crashes.Alternatively if your monitor and GPU both support a DVI connection which mine do, then get a DVI connection to eliminate the problem (as I am tomorrow). Will report back with results.Regards,Olly Mylius