Sign in to follow this  
rdb

Broken WX CONFIG in build 586 and later

Hello,1. Changing manually clouds in editable METAR string and clicking "Parse METAR" will make cloud layers list blank. 12. Now when you click "Apply weather" chances are ASA will throw unhandled exception and crash.Also tested with latest build 625.[1] You don't even need to change anything in the METAR string, just clicking "Parse METAR" will reset cloud layers section.

Regards,

Radek

Hi,Its only the data that is in the METAR that gets sent to FS not anything in the cloud layers box. The parse button clears things so that new layers can be entered on a clean surface/screen.I "applied weather" about 10 times ina row and could not cause a crash. Can you post a screen shot of the error and message details?

Try clicking "Edit layer" after editing METAR string clears "Clouds" listbox...editlayercrash.pngNow, back to WX Config functionality.From what you say it's a feature, not a bug but:1. It worked before build 586 (before SP1 i guess). Yesterday i've spent some time uninstalling/reinstalling ASE to build 566. Editing clouds in METAR in build 566 was populating clouds listbox properly. IMVHO both METAR string and the rest of WX Config page should stay consisent with each other whatever you change, be it METAR string or other weather data through WX Config UI. I hope you know what i mean.2. After editing clouds info in METAR, clicking "Parse METAR" and "Apply weather" i do not get desired cloud layers in FS. In this example screenshot i'm at LEIB (Ibiza, Spain), loaded ASE. Online downloads enabled, so ASE is starting by sending proper real world weather according to METAR. At that time it was LEIB 160630Z VRB01KT 9999 FEW035 14/11 Q1010 NOSIG. Now i want to change cloud base, so i go to WX Config, replace FEW035 in METAR string with FEW070, click "Parse METAR" and "Apply weather" then give ASE time to send this to FS. To my surprise FS still has old one and only cloud layer with cloud base at 3500ft. Same no go with clouds editing if i change layers using WX Config UI (as opposed to editing METAR string).cloudsnotmatchingfsfull.pngBy the way, is Damian still around on these forums?I've been using AS for a long time. Been beta testing AS 6.5, i believe it was. It was great product by then, top notch. Now i'm in question a little bit. Maybe ASA/ASE grew too big for me to understand its inner workings. Maybe it's FSX weather engine being too limiting or buggy when compared to FS9. I don't know. From user standpoint it looks like the development process slowed down a bit. Besides this i'm also having problems with ASE depicting proper temperatures at altitude. Too often I'm getting temperature inversion, which ruins my JS41 flying somewhat. I wrote a small LUA script to send lots of weather/general FS data via UDP to another machine and right now i'm in the process of writing a small frontend Cocoa app (Mac OS X) to plot that data in real time to find out what is really going wrong with ASE/FS weather. Is there a way to stay in touch directly with Damian and other developers (if there are any), like the old beta mailing list?

Regards,

Radek

Hi,I'll put in a report about the WX Config screen. You can contact Damian through his e-mail address! The same one that you used during beta testing.Not sure about the error as it is written, it looks like, in Polish.

Hello,I seem to have this same problem with B642. I seem to remember that in an older version of ASE, that once the METAR string was edited and you pressed the "Parse METAR" button, then this updated the infomation plotted above on the Wx Config page. I was flying with real world weather for some VFR this evening, and the conditions were deteriorating to IMC, so I decided to load the "Fair Weather" preset. I changed the airport (in the METAR string) to my current closest, set range to "Global" pressed parse, then apply, and no update above or nothing changing in the FSX weather.I seem to be a little confused as I am almost sure that in an older version once changing the METAR the change always appeared above and was pretty much instant.Thanks,Jack

Hi Jack,Did the data change on the ASE Report Screen?

Hi Jack,Did the data change on the ASE Report Screen?
Just looking now and it appears that after loading a preset (the Hurricane Blast in this case) it has updated the Textual Conditions, but not the Graphical Conditions as below:4102564263-orig.jpgI have tried this with various airports with still the same result. I have also changed the ICAO ID in the selected station and then back again, just in case it needed to update the Graphical Conditions; but this doesn't seem to help. - Just for your information, Automatic Downloads is unticked, when I use the Wx Config.Thanks,Jack

Jack,Don't use any of the themes right now. Just make the changes on the Wx Config screen and see what happens. I just tried on mine and everything went fine.

Take a look at the station identifiers at the bottom. They are different and should be the same. Definite bug. From what little I can determine, when you click apply after making a simple edit to the metar (ie: changing the vis to 1 mi) the wrong airport ends up getting the actual weather while the change is reflected in the metar report itself. (I'll explain why I think so below.)For example:Airport KABC visibility is 10 mi before changeEdit KABC to change visibility to 1 mile.Click Parse, then ApplyThe report indicates 1 mi visibility. Actual visibility does not change and in addition, the TAF report for KABC is substituted for another (close by) airport. When I edited the metar (wx config) on the "close by" airport, then I ended up getting the correct visuals for airport KABC. Strange, huh?(I can tell you the file being written to by ASE is: current_synthesized_wx.txt)I'm using build 651 (beta), but it also happens to the builds listed in this forum's title, too. The last couple of builds do not cause the "Parse crash" for me, but the configurator is definitely buggy. The two identifiers on the report screen (metar and taf) should be identical and you are not getting the visual changes after the edit.P.S. I'm a retired airline pilot and also a programmer.

Hi,If you haven't already, please contact us via support.hifitechinc.com and open a ticket so we can get this looked at. If we can confirm and reproduce an error here with B651 we'll get it fixed quickly. Thanks!

Damian Clark
HiFi  Simulation Technologies