Sign in to follow this  
John_Cillis

Computer gurus: help please!

I really would appreciate some help from the computer gurus!!I have a medium-high system: PIV 2.5 GHx, 512 RAM (Rambus), Asus GE4 Ti4600 128 MB, disk 72oo rom of 60 GB, WinXPPro, DirectX9.0b, latest bios, sound (Soundblaster Live!) and video drivers, FSIUPC3.08 (registered)My setting bars on FS9 are at middle - nothing is to the right. I don

Edmundo Azevedo

To make a long story short, have you tried renaming the default.xml to default.bak? Some users have found with Autogen enabled, the special objects loaded through the xml file were getting held in memory, causing symptoms like what you describe. Sorry to say renaming it removes the fast food joints, churches, etc from Autogen, but many have said it eliminated the issue you report...-John

Guest Max Cowgill

Quick question: why are you running Norton Antivirus while using MSFS? I don't think MS puts virii in FS ;)-Max Cowgill

John,Thanks for your input. Yes, I have done that renaming. But my problem is deeper that a simple tweak. As I mentioned in my post, it seems that FS9 is building up information (page file usage increases with time) and eventually overflows! The reason is beyond my knowledge.Something strange too is that after closing down FS9, it stays in memory because I can see it in the list of processes in Windows Task Manager (but not in the Application window) using about 18,672 KB of memory. And in most cases it stays there. I have to close it down in Windowa Task Manager otherwise WIndowsXP does not shuts down.ThanksEdmundo

Edmundo Azevedo

You're not using the No_CD .exe, are you? If so, try the standard .exe w/the CD. If not, another choice would be renaming FS9.cfg to FS9.old, then letting COF rebuild it--to see if some odd setting there is blown up. Last thing I can think of would be a driver/DirectX conflict that just manifests itself when COF is run.And of course, if you've any add-ons, one of them could be suspect as well...-JohnEdit--and I almost forgot--it's very important to disable NAV.... All bets are off unless you run COF on a pristine system with nothing else loaded. It can run (I often watch my ATI TV tuner during long hauls), but any of a number of apps can sink it in a hurry...

Guest Jimbofly

Edmundo,There is a way to prevent Windows from increasing the size of the swap file. You need to right-click on My Computer, select Properties, then go into the Advanced tab. In the Performance area, click on Settings. When the Performance Options dialog box appears, click on the Advanced tab, where you'll see the Virtual Memory section near the bottom. From here click Change, and the Virtual Memory dialog will appear. From here you can set the Page File size to custom, where you can set the minimum and maximum space on the HDD you want Windows to use for the Page File. It is recommended that you have the page file set 2.5 times your RAM size, and that the minimum is the same as the maximum.Hope this helps!James

James,Thanks for your input. The size allocated to the virtual memory is not an issue (I have it set at 1.024 GB!!). The problem is that in any situation I feel always the hard-drive in activity and the page file increases continualy and eventually makes FS9 unflyable. Please have a look at the enclosed screenshot - it says everything! I have deleted FS9.config (and I have no addons running except FSNav) but the problem comes out again.RegardsEdmundo

Edmundo Azevedo

Guest PaulL01

question,Have you added any landclass files? If so, What folders did you use/create?

Paul,No, no Landclass files here (I am aware of the Texture folder issue!). Cannot use FS9! For the first time in many years of flight siming I am grounded!! Edmundo

Edmundo Azevedo

Guest B52Drivr

I can only tell you what worked for me, I switched to XP and doubled my 512 ram to 1 gig . . .it doesnt 'slow down like that any longer, even on a 3 hrs flight.Clay

What does No_CD .exe have to do with this issue? Just curious cause I have not seen this mentioned before?

I don't know whether the crack has anything to do with it or not.... But whenever a problem like this crops up, you want to restore your install to the baseline standard, then troubleshoot from there. The crack isn't part of that standard.-John