Sign in to follow this  
Guest Flyingdutchman

Pilots try to land on wrong runway at EHAM Schiphol, Am

Hi,According to the news a few minutes ago, pilots tried to land on the new not yet finished runway at Schiphol, the Netherlands.The new runway is the fifth runway which is built parallell to another runway (Zwanenburgbaan) but is not yet finished. Normally, pilots were free to navigate on their own towards the already excisting runway. Now, ATC has taken it over to avoid further mistakes. Also red marks light up now at the new runway.For more information, see also www.nu.nl (Dutch) http://nu.nl/document?n=60494Regards, FerryPS: Lago please update the airport scenery! ;-)

Guest Flyingdutchman

Hi Ferry,I heard the news also.But I find it strange because, when you set you ILS to the correct course for 19R, and you'll turn to the "vijfdebaan" it'll show that you're not allinged with the runway. So that means means that the pilots, haven't seen that the airplane wasn't at the correct course.For the non-dutchies :D.....it's very bad weather in Holland with low clouds and heavy rain......so a visual approach isn't possible.Actually I'm curios, which airline it was who wanted to land on the wrong runway, it won't be a dutchairline! ;)Regards,Evert

Action has now been taken, but wrong landings have happened over the past several weeks (the runway is there now, but lights and electronics have not been installed).Visual landings have been conducted on the 19R recently, the ILS has been down to CAT I (from CAT III) for a while now. Pilots will see the new runway sooner (though misalligned somewhat), and when unfamiliar might turn towards it as they are close together.I wonder how this will be treated when the 18-36 is fully activated and parallel arrivals are being conducted. Will all arrivals be CAT III only or under strict ATC control?Or will 19R no longer be used for arrivals and the runway marked as such, 18 and 19L are far enough apart that no errors should occur.

Guest Flyingdutchman

He Jeroen,Mhm that's a nice point you made.Have you watched the departure charts of 19R they usually make a left turn directly after take-off (Bergi for sure) :D then they will have to adapt the departure procedure......that would be nice.But I'm sure they figured out something for that?! don't you think?Regards,Evert