Sign in to follow this  
Guest Joe

Engines - Round and Turbines Anecdotal!!

"ROUND ENGINES (Thanks to classmate Bill Young)Isn't this the truth. Death to turbines!We gotta get rid of these turbines, they are ruining aviation. We need to go back to big round engines.Anybody can start a turbine, you just need to move a switch from "OFF" to "START," and then remember it needs kerosene after a while. My PC is harder to start.Cranking a round engine requires skill, finesse and style. Only pilots and mechanics can do it right. Turbines start by whining for a while, then give a small lady-like poot and start whining louder.Round engines give a satisfying clank-rattle, click-click, BANG, more rattles, groans another BANG, a big macho ##### or two, more clicks, a lot of fire and smoke and finally a serious low pitched roar. We like that. It's a guy thing.When you start a round engine, your mind is engaged and ready for a fight and you can concentrate on the flight ahead. Starting a turbine is like flicking on a ceiling fan: Useful, but hardly exciting.Turbines don't break often enough, leading to aircrew boredom, complacency and inattention. A round engine at speed looks and sounds like it's going to blow at any minute. This helps concentrate the mind. Turbines don't have enough control leversto keep a pilot's attention. There's nothing to fiddle with during long flights. Turbines smell like a Boy Scout camp full of Coleman lanterns. Round engine airplanes smell like God intended flying machines to smell.I think I hear the nurse coming down the hall. I gotta go.":-LOL

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

"lady-like poot and start whining louder."LOL!By round engines, did you mean -radial-?

LOL! More of this, please....Cheers,Gosta.

Why are radial engines round? So you can roll em to the dump! A quote from one of my Airframe and Powerplant instructors.

What's the differance between a pilot and a turbine engine? The turbine stop's whining when it get's to the gate!

Turbines are round too. And easier to roll into dumps :-lol , except for those screwy lopsided 73X's... haha.

Hey, CFM's GE's, PW's they are rubbish, crap...now RR that's something or the engine son Concorde or a russian airliner..thats something!!!!!!!! RR/IAE's are the best...and sound great!!! much better than any radial

"Cranking a round engine requires skill, finesse and style."Hot Starts! :-lol That's what I was thinking about when I was reading your rant post.Those days when you're trying to start that heat soaked engine and it just won't go. Your best "Hot start" procedure just isn't working. It's 95