Sign in to follow this  
a3ifs40

PMDG Options in FSX

Good morning all I just installed FSX and the PMDG Queen in my new windows 7 computerand it is flying great so far, however I am having trouble setting the following in the options menuTCAS and Ground powerI go in the PMDG Option setting click Various check the both in both hit okand nothing happensi go back in and they are not checkedi figure my brian is just gonzo but i have tried a couple of times and nothing worksany help would be greatthanksIan Snow

Ian,this likely is caused by a Windows 7 feature called User Account Control (UAC) and the location of your FSX installation. Make sure you always install and run FSX as administrator and don't install it into the Program Files (x86) folder. I suggest reinstalling FSX into another folder or even a seperate partition, if possible. It's important to install and run FSX always on the same user account, because FSX and a lot of add-ons store their settings in the \User\yourNamehere\ directory.

Ian, if you chose to turn off UAC then you have no further actions. However, if you keep the nanny employed then you could set the security properties for the executables and also for the folders/subfolders that MSFS installs to. I don't think you have to reinstall.

Dan Downs KCRP

hello Dan I am so sorrybut I no idea what you meansorry I am kinda computer stupidthanksIan Snow

I'm not an expert on anything LOL, if your knowledge level is minimal and you are not familiar with setting properties for objects (right mouse click select "Properties") then yes please reinstall and when you run the installer use right mouse click and select "run as admin"To turn off UAC go to your windows help and search for "UAC" and follow instructions to turn off.

Dan Downs KCRP

Hi sorry to ask thisbut i tried to find UNC and could notany chance i could get so directions?thanksIan Snow

Hi sorry to ask thisbut i tried to find UNC and could notany chance i could get so directions?thanksIan Snow
Click on the link below that Alexander supplied you in an earlier post.Ian,this likely is caused by a Windows 7 feature called User Account Control (UAC) and the location of your FSX installation. Make sure you always install and run FSX as administrator and don't install it into the Program Files (x86) folder. I suggest reinstalling FSX into another folder or even a seperate partition, if possible. It's important to install and run FSX always on the same user account, because FSX and a lot of add-ons store their settings in the \User\yourNamehere\ directory.

Dylan Charles

"The aircraft G-limits are only there in case there is another flight by that particular airplane. If subsequent flights do not appear likely, there are no G-limits."

hi thanks i will try itif it does not work i will do the reinstall thingthanksian snow

Ian,the easiest way to disable UAC is this:Click on the Windows logo in the lower left and just type "uac" into the field with the magnifier and press Return. This should direct you to the UAC settings. Just set the slider to "Never notify".This will not solve your problem though, since your user account still hasn't enough access rights to write into the Program Files (x86) folder. That's what the "Run as Administrator" option in the right-click context menu is for. But I still recommend a reinstall, at least of your PMDG products. That's because when you start FSX as Administrator for the first time it will look for it's configuration files in /Users/Administrator/ instead of /Users/YourNamehere/ and not find anything. Thus all the configuration files will be rebuild and your PMDG products won't work, because some required components are not loaded. One file in particular is very important: dll.xml. It's essentially a list that tells FSX what to load during start up. There might be another problem. When you installed the 747 your order information was stored in the Windows Registry. The copy protection looks into the registry to verify you are using a legit copy. Since you are running as a different user now, namely as the Administrator, the copy protection might not find the info and thus prevent you from using your 747. The dll.xml file can be edited manually, but a reinstall might be easier for you and technically it's the better method.If you are reinstalling, try this:

• Do not install into the default location. Use C:\FSX\ or anywhere you want, but not Program Files (x86) or Program Files. If you have multiple partitions then I suggest you dedicate one of those to FSX. This will improve performance and simplify maintenance of FSX.
  • Install and run using the Administrator account only. (The "true" Administrator account is disabled by default in Windows 7 by the way. But that isn't important right now.)

Don't hesitate to ask your questions. We'll make you a power user in no time.Regards

• Install and run using the Administrator account only. (The "true" Administrator account is disabled by default in Windows 7 by the way. But that isn't important right now.)

How would I enable it then and what would it be useful for? I remember from XP Home that suddenly some "Administrator" account appeared every time I booted in Safe Mode. I wonder what the difference between my (one and only) pseudo-'admin' account and the one you mention is.Thanks!sig.gif

Etienne,my Windows 7 is german, so my translation may not be exact. There are two ways, that I know of, how to activate the Admin account.

• Go to Administrative Tools -> Computer Management -> Local Users/Groups. Look for the Administrator account and untick the checkbox "Account is deactivated" in the account properties. This only works on the Ultimate Edition iirc.
  • Go to Accessories -> Command prompt ("Run as Administrator") -> enter: "net user Administrator /active" without quotes.

As far as I know, this Admin account is the only way to really work without UAC (unless you fiddle with the security settings). Selecting "Never notify" in the UAC settings will only set UAC to "auto-deny" any system changes. So, when using this account you don't need to bother with the "Run as Administrator" option any longer. There might be other differences like even less security restrictions, but I don't know. Don't visit any suspicious websites with this account. When I am not simming or doing system maintenance I always use my UAC protected standard user account. Regards