Sign in to follow this  
asc_airlimo

Step climbs

1. I would like to change the amount of step climbs ATC is making me do. How?2. I would like to speed up ATC's step climb instructions so I they happen before I have to start leveling out. 3. Is there a way to delay the descend instructions to a more realistic distance from the arrival airport? ATC is not following the published restrictions at all. 4. Where is the RC4.cfg so I can peek around a bit?Thank youAng

1. I would like to change the amount of step climbs ATC is making me do. How?2. I would like to speed up ATC's step climb instructions so I they happen before I have to start leveling out. 3. Is there a way to delay the descend instructions to a more realistic distance from the arrival airport? ATC is not following the published restrictions at all. 4. Where is the RC4.cfg so I can peek around a bit?Thank youAng
1) sorry, that would require a programming change. the steps are randomly chosen, and are consistant with real life procedures2) are you flying at 2x or 4x?3) you can request a PD descent, information in the manual4) not familiar with that file.jd

1. I like real life procedures in my flight simulator to a point. I wouldn't mind a couple of steps but it seems I am getting step instructions about every 4,000 ft until I get up over FL250 then is jumps to about 9,000 ft. Kinda strange getting a clearance to climb to FL450 when my top is FL470, why not send me there now you know? Not many buses up there to have a step that close together at that altitude. On average I would like to see a climb to my initial, then say up in the 20k range and then step me to my final altitude, especially once over FL180 where there is no VFR traffic to step around. In aviation time is money and so is altitude. My fuel burn since using RC has gone through the roof. Get me up there asap! :)2. Normal time. It would be nice to speed up the talking. The ATC all talk so slow. 3. Thank you4. OK, was hoping there were some tweaks at my fingertips.

1. I like real life procedures in my flight simulator to a point. I wouldn't mind a couple of steps but it seems I am getting step instructions about every 4,000 ft until I get up over FL250 then is jumps to about 9,000 ft. Kinda strange getting a clearance to climb to FL450 when my top is FL470, why not send me there now you know? Not many buses up there to have a step that close together at that altitude. On average I would like to see a climb to my initial, then say up in the 20k range and then step me to my final altitude, especially once over FL180 where there is no VFR traffic to step around. In aviation time is money and so is altitude. My fuel burn since using RC has gone through the roof. Get me up there asap! :)
Unfortunately for you RC and PFE mirror the real world more than your wishes!! And speaking for PFE they only clear you to your cruise altitude directly if it IS clear! I would imagine RC does the same!!vololiberista

Well, I just departed New York and I will say this was by far the best step climb profile to date. I only had 6 steps to reach FL470. Initial was 5,0002. 15,000 - This was a big step compared to past ones.3. FL2004. FL2305. FL3406. FL470. This was also a huge step of 13,000 ft. Biggest step to date for me. Compared to past flights, I'm happy with that. I only had two of the steps where I had to re-do the AP as I was already within 1,000 ft before the instruction.

Guest Boeing Skunk Works
Well, I just departed New York and I will say this was by far the best step climb profile to date. I only had 6 steps to reach FL470. Initial was 5,0002. 15,000 - This was a big step compared to past ones.3. FL2004. FL2305. FL3406. FL470. This was also a huge step of 13,000 ft. Biggest step to date for me. Compared to past flights, I'm happy with that. I only had two of the steps where I had to re-do the AP as I was already within 1,000 ft before the instruction.
What does the cruise chart say is your optimum altitude for your configuration?

On the VOICES tab there is a slider including a master one for for all voices for each class of voice in the tab. Left is fastest. This speed tab controls the spacing between each word or phrase.RC4 assembles the combination of all audio phrases/characters before it outputs the combination. If you CPU resources are loaded highly then response can be slow. If you have Display Text enabled in the general options disabling that will speed up audio processing.

1. I like real life procedures in my flight simulator to a point. I wouldn't mind a couple of steps but it seems I am getting step instructions about every 4,000 ft until I get up over FL250 then is jumps to about 9,000 ft. Kinda strange getting a clearance to climb to FL450 when my top is FL470, why not send me there now you know?
Because the controller doesn't know whether or not you're going to have a communications failure. They give you the 'step' assignments to keep you within their sector if you do have a issue. As you get close to the edge of their radar boundary, you will be issued a new clearance when handed off to the next controller.

sometimes you have to level off because there would be a conflict at your next step altitude, or cause a conflict at a FL between where you are and where you're going to be. it would be unrealistic for me to clear you to the next altitude as you approach your assigned altitude, and in so doing cause a conflict between you and another aircraft. have you taken into account where the other ai are, their headings, speeds, altitudes, rate of climb/descent, and calculated where they would all be at each moment in the future compared to where you would be, and if that would be a conflict? it's not just waiting to see if you are close to your assigned altitude and clear you to the next.jd

Can you direct me to the page in the manual that tells me how to fly a SID with Alt. Restrictions? I can't find it. I just flew the GUASP TWO Departure out of KMCO and was cleared to fly the departure as published. However, ATC did not follow the Alt. Restrictions at all. This option was checked in the General tab.

Page 107 starts the description of departure procedures including how to set the various restriction options on the RC Controller tab in the preflight setup.With reference to altitude restrictions I quote:"No Altitude RestrClearance Delivery will assign an initial altitude, and Departure will keep you climbing. However, some published DPs include altitude restrictions. They may be AOA (at or above), AT, or AOB (at or below) altitude instructions. If you see your DP might cause you to remain level at an altitude for some period or until a certain DME, this is the DP feature to use. Use this checkbox if you do not want the RC controller pestering you for not maintaining a continuous rate of climb to your assigned altitude. There will be no lateral “watch-dogging”, there will be no vertical “watch-dogging” from RC until you are at or beyond 30 miles from the departure field.Alt RestrictionsBy far, most DPs are of published routes without any altitude restraints. If your DP contains lateral routes but no altitude instructions, or if you simply wish to join an airway outbound, this is the way to go. Again, Clearance Delivery will assign an initial altitude, and Departure will keep you climbing but in this case, you need adhere to those altitude clearances. Keep it climbing to assigned, do not level off."In either case RC4 will not follow any altitudes (other than requested cruise) in your plan.Read through all of the Departure section for hints of consideration in applying your choices.Be sure also your SID waypoints are in your plan and if using an FMC SID they must coincide with the plan sent to RC. If using an FMC SID (or your first waypoint is within 30 nm) No Altitude Restrictions is the option to choose as RC will not monitor your position or altitude inside of 30 nm. If you want RC to command altitudes inside that range (RC chooses them and you then must adhere to them) choose At Restrictions.Note also that when RC issues a command to assume your own navigation that means go direct to the next waypoint (indicated in the RC window) from your present position and not return to your planned path.One of the many tutorials, not sure which, illustrates these options.

Alright, back to the step climb issue. Just now I was climbing through FL320 for FL340. I see another plane heading my way in my TCAS at FL330. As I'm climbing through FL330 ATC alerts me of this traffic and I ###### you not he flew right past my left wing. We were so close I could see the other captains eyes. So is RC really watching out for me as I receive my 8 steps to my cruise level? Also last week I was on final. My TCAS was going crazy with "traffic" warnings. I couldn't see another airplane so I continued the approach. About 500 ft AGL, a big ole 767 swooped down in front of me and landed. He was flying above me the whole approach. I'm really starting to think this RC program is really only allowing me to fly SID's and STAR's that the default ATC wont allow. Not really worth the $50 bucks so far.

Alright, back to the step climb issue. Just now I was climbing through FL320 for FL340. I see another plane heading my way in my TCAS at FL330. As I'm climbing through FL330 ATC alerts me of this traffic and I ###### you not he flew right past my left wing. We were so close I could see the other captains eyes. So is RC really watching out for me as I receive my 8 steps to my cruise level? Also last week I was on final. My TCAS was going crazy with "traffic" warnings. I couldn't see another airplane so I continued the approach. About 500 ft AGL, a big ole 767 swooped down in front of me and landed. He was flying above me the whole approach. I'm really starting to think this RC program is really only allowing me to fly SID's and STAR's that the default ATC wont allow. Not really worth the $50 bucks so far.
Then you need AI smooth! Both the AI pilots and their ATC controllers have no knowledge of separation.vololiberista

I've been using AI Smooth all along. There is no way RC is interacting with my AI or my flight plan. I just flew an RNAV STAR in which ATC was clearing me to altitudes which in real life they do not do. Unless something is terribly wrong ATC will leave you alone and expect you to follow the altitude restrictions. The STAR was in my flight plan but yet ATC refused my #3-PD request then proceeded to clear me to altitudes that did not follow the chart at all. Flying eastbound at 12,000 per ATC's instruction and over 50 miles from the airport, they completely removed me from the route with vectors. At the airport I was flying into the viability was 4SM but yet they set me up for a visual approach. When I requested the IAP, they descended me to 2,500 then flew me over 20 miles away from the airport. On my Approach Plate my IAF was only 14.1 miles away and the altitude was 5,000 ft. Here I am flying 25 miles out at 2,500 ft and I can't see anything infront of me. Once on the ground I contacted ground and then was run over by 3 different aircraft on my way to parking. I find it very hard to believe that RC is interacting with my AI or the charts. Now it's vectoring me off of RNAV's in low vis arrivals. Now tell me that is realistic.Now before you guys come on here with your "realistic" talk. Explain this one to me. I'm cruising eastbound at FL490 in Eaglesoft's Cessna Citation X at Mach .92. I am 20 nm's to my TOD to cross my RNAV restriction at 15,000. ATC instructs me to D/M FL420. I choose the PD option. ATC returns with a negative and an instruction that he needs me at FL420 immediately. OK, for one, FL420 is not even a legal altitude as separations are 2,000 ft above FL400. Secondly, what is coming up my rear end so fast that I need to leave FL490 pronto? At both FL490 and FL420 I am still with the same Center Controller.