Sign in to follow this  
Thomas_Kenobi

FSX VC Gauges Problem

I've been having a peculiar problem with VC gauges in FSX. Specifically in some aircraft (e.g. the default King Air) the gauge DLLs have stopped loading so that when I open the VC I see blank. On the other hand, other aircraft (e.g. the default 737 except the radio stack) seem to be working just fine. I have no idea of where even to begin troubleshooting this. The only thing pertinent that I can think of was that, just before this problem started, FSUIPC started complaining that it couldn't verify the dll signature and didn't run properly. Reinstalling wouldn't help. It recommended that I check the cryptographic service is running (it is) and that I haven't set Pete Dowson as an untrusted publisher in Internet Settings. I hadn't, but I added the certificate to the list of trusted publishers and that fixed the FSUIPC problem, but not the rest.Any help would be very much appreciated. I'd rather not be forced to reinstall FSX from scratch.I'm enclosing a screenshot of the default King Air as a demonstration of the problem.KingAIr.png

I've been having a peculiar problem with VC gauges in FSX. Specifically in some aircraft (e.g. the default King Air) the gauge DLLs have stopped loading so that when I open the VC I see blank. On the other hand, other aircraft (e.g. the default 737 except the radio stack) seem to be working just fine. I have no idea of where even to begin troubleshooting this. The only thing pertinent that I can think of was that, just before this problem started, FSUIPC started complaining that it couldn't verify the dll signature and didn't run properly. Reinstalling wouldn't help. It recommended that I check the cryptographic service is running (it is) and that I haven't set Pete Dowson as an untrusted publisher in Internet Settings. I hadn't, but I added the certificate to the list of trusted publishers and that fixed the FSUIPC problem, but not the rest.Any help would be very much appreciated. I'd rather not be forced to reinstall FSX from scratch.I'm enclosing a screenshot of the default King Air as a demonstration of the problem.
Try to rename fsx.cfg to fsx.bak.cfg and start up FSX. It will rebuild the fsx.cfg file.You can copy custom settings later, after it all works again - or if this does not fix the problem,return to the original fsx.cfg file.Also read: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/320652-problem-with-fsx/

Bert

Thanks for the tips. I just tried rebuilding the fsx.cfg file and applying the gauges_recovery_fsx fix, but neither helped. Unfortunately the problem remains.

Ok so it seems the problem is a fair deal worse than I thought. I unistalled FSX and deleted all configuration files then reinstalled, but the issue remains. Which means it has something to do with Windows not FSX in particular. Also I noticed that the gauges from the 2D cockpits are missing as well. I think this is related to how the DLL files are loaded, but I'm not sure.I would really appreciate some help, because the next solution on the table is formatting the Windows partition and that will mean a lot of work...KingAir2.pngUpdate:I think I have figured out what is going on. It has to do with the certificates attached to the dll gauge files. Once I added Microsoft's certificate to the list of Trusted Publishers in Internet Options->Content->Publishers the default King Air started working fine again. It would seem Windows has started rejecting DLL files if they don't already have the certificate that accompanies them listed as trusted. This might have been changed by one of the latest automatic updates.Does anyone know how this can be fixed? I would very much like to go back to the things as they were. It's a bit of a hassle having to add a certificate every time I install new gauges and some publishers don't include certificates at all (e.g. freeware, etc...).

You should not have had to add Microsoft's own Certificate that way...But, when loading something "new" to FSX, you will only have to manually "approve" anything once. It will then be added to your working fsx.cfg file.BTW, you did work with the "working copy" of the fsx.cfg file, right? The one that's kept in the "..\users\AppData..." folder?

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

You should not have had to add Microsoft's own Certificate that way...But, when loading something "new" to FSX, you will only have to manually "approve" anything once. It will then be added to your working fsx.cfg file.BTW, you did work with the "working copy" of the fsx.cfg file, right? The one that's kept in the "..\users\AppData..." folder?
Yes I did work with the fsx.cfg file in AppData.The interesting thing is that after I reinstalled FSX and first launched it, it didn't ask for permission to load FSUIPC, even though it was present in the modules folder and even though the configuration files were the new ones installation placed there. FSUIPC didn't appear in game until I manually run its own installer.It seems like FSX has stopped asking me to approve new DLLs loading. Where in the configuration files is this normally handled?

Solution Found:I found the solution in a post by Mr. Kalamaras here: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/122156-fsx-trusted-dll-modules-issues/To Moderators: Might I recommend Mr. Kalamars old post is stickied or linked to? He says he's added an article to the wiki, but the wiki doesn't seem to be working. This is a bizzare problem that can't be solved without knowledge of how Win handles dll validation, something that not many people have.Also I found a thread of another who had a similar issue a few years back: http://forum.avsim.net/topic/57845-gauge-errors-in-fsx/