Sign in to follow this  
PiperPilot21

Approach Checklist

Bryan, thanks for making such an awesome product. After struggling for days with whether I'd buy this version or the 747 one, I decided I'd go with the 767 for now and wait on the other, simply because I fly the 767 more and am more familiar with it. Despite my computer not really recognizing anything I say even after running the training, FS2Crew is working nearly flawlessly.One major thing that's bothering me is on the flight I just tried into DFW. Everything went as smoothly as I could hope for the first time until it was time for the Approach Checklist. Normally I try to get things done as soon as possible so I can prep for landing, so after passing 10,000 feet I called for the App. Checklist. The FO just stared at me and was unresponsive, almost coma like. So I figured it was too early to call for it and waited until the manual said, at 7,000 feet. I called for it again, but same response from the FO. I checked my voice connection by giving another command, "Off ATC for the PA" and he replied, "check". So I knew he was listening.I kept trying every hundred feet or so for the checklist but he wouldn't give it or acknowledge it. Finally after reaching 5,000 feet, I call out again, "Approach checklist" with just a bit of hostility in my voice. The FO responds with, "check". Furthermore, I can see on the green bar that my words are being picked up correctly, so I know the program is hearing what I say. I figure that maybe the FO is supposed to do a silent flow first, so I check the overhead and every other panel, but nothing is different. Maybe, then, I'm supposed to call out the checklist items. "Landing Briefing," I say. No response. "Touchdown elevation." Still nothing. "Touchdown elevation, six zero seven feet," I say, sure that maybe I'm supposed to read this out in whole. No response. Getting closer to ILS capture, I blurt out, "Raw data on your side." "Check", he says, but I'm not sure he actually did anything. "Flaps 1." "Check". Flaps don't move. Now what? "Arm Localizer." Nothing. Gahh! I'm about ready to throw him out of the plane without a parachute. Obviously something didn't trigger, although the Approach Checklist is highlighted in yellow on the Control Panel. The only thing I can figure is my "failure" to call out my altimeter reading. However, I did this but FS2Crew understands "altimeter" as "altitude", whether I say it as "al-TEE-mee-tar", "al-TIM-eh-ter", or "all-TAH-mee-ter," or any other possible way of saying it. Any ideas for why the FO neglects my call for the Approach Checklist? Might have to report him to the FAA if he keeps doing that.Thanks,Matt

This is partially solved, though I don't know how. I'm doing yet another flight after reinstalling my audio drivers and restarting Windows. This time when I ran the "Approach Checklist," I had no issues with it being performed, except the FO still doesn't like when I say "altimeter". He still hears it as "altitude" no matter how many different ways I say it, which leads to some very interesting climbs and descents.

This is partially solved, though I don't know how. I'm doing yet another flight after reinstalling my audio drivers and restarting Windows. This time when I ran the "Approach Checklist," I had no issues with it being performed, except the FO still doesn't like when I say "altimeter". He still hears it as "altitude" no matter how many different ways I say it, which leads to some very interesting climbs and descents.
Hi,Make sure you have the latest SP1 installed:http://www.fs2crew.com/cart/Updates/FS2Crew_LDS767_Voice_SP1.zipThe problem with "altimeter" is that "altimeter" does not exist in the grammar file, so it will never be recognized because it doesn't exist. So the speech recognition system selects the next closest sounding thing.In what context are you saying "altimeter"? It's not a word expected to be used in the simulation.Cheers,

Hmm, you're right, Bryan. I have SP1 installed. The mistake was, once again, my own. I have my manual not printed out, but on my second monitor, which is an old CRT one but still works fairly decent, albeit sometimes hard to read. I guess in all the excitement I mistook the FO checklist item written in the manual, "Altimeters:" as being part of the Captains return, which I see now in actuality is only "xx.xx set and cross checked," and not what I thought, which was "Altimeter xx.xx, set and cross checked." Again, my mistake and not with the program. So with this sorted out, I'd say the program is 100%.On a side note, you say yourself you take pride in your level of customer service, and I say you should. By far, this is the best support I've received from anyone regarding their product or service, payware or freeware. Above all else, this is the reason why I purchased this product. Keep up the great program work and excellent customer service.