My problem is that I don`t really know much about RAM memory modules.When I got my new I7 computer it had 6 GB`s of some DDR3 RAM with, I think, 1066MHz.I decided to replace them with the recommended Mushkin redskin 1600 RAM.Now that I got it back, I see that they didn`t replace the RAM, but just put the new in there too, so I now have 12 GB of different RAM.Now to the question. Is that a good thing?If not, can I myself, with my almost complete absence of knowledge, just remove the old ones, and put the Mushkin RAM in the correct slots?Or do I have to change something in the bios too, to make it work?If anybody have the knowledge to guide me a little, I would really appreciate it. :biggrin: Best regards Jen

Guest chris493

It's very simple to do. Follow these steps:1: open your case and disconnect the power cord from the back of computer and lie it on a flat surface. 2: locate the ram slots. They should be next to your CPU, underneath the fan. 3: Look at the ram modules closely. You will see small clips at either both ends, or just one end. 4: place one hand on the case, to ground you, then pop the all of the small clips outwards on the modules you no longer need, the old ones.5: with one hand on the case, gentle pull the ram modules out of the slots and place them away. 6: OPTIONAL: you can move the new modules to the other slots if you wish, however if the new modules are all in a slot of the same colour, it does not matter. 7: close your case, plug it in and your done!

Guest jahman

It used to be that the MB would access all RAM sticks at the speed of the slowest stick. Now perhaps the MB accesses all RAM sticks in a particular channel (same socket color) at the speed of the slowest stick in that channel.As I'm not sure as to the situation with today's MBs, perhaps someone else could chime in as to whether or not the older slower sticks need to be removed or can they coexist peacefully with the faster sticks and not slow them down. Thanks!Cheers,- jahman.

The memory controller will access all RAM at the speed of the slowest DIMM, at least on Intel systems. It may be possible for AMD systems to access RAM as you propose since they have an "unganged" mode of operation which allows DIMMs to be accessed individually, but I have not tested for this.

It's very simple to do. Follow these steps:1: open your case and disconnect the power cord from the back of computer and lie it on a flat surface. 2: locate the ram slots. They should be next to your CPU, underneath the fan. 3: Look at the ram modules closely. You will see small clips at either both ends, or just one end. 4: place one hand on the case, to ground you, then pop the all of the small clips outwards on the modules you no longer need, the old ones.5: with one hand on the case, gentle pull the ram modules out of the slots and place them away. 6: OPTIONAL: you can move the new modules to the other slots if you wish, however if the new modules are all in a slot of the same colour, it does not matter. 7: close your case, plug it in and your done!
Hi ChrisThanks for the very clear guide.It might very well come in handy, if I decide to skip all cautions, and go ahead with it myself :biggrin: JenHi Jahman and Tachguymaxc.My system is Intel based, so it was thing like that I was afraid of. And I am a little concerned, that I don`t get the full value of the fine Mushkin RAM sticks :Nail Biting: Jen

Jen - Follow Chris's advice - it's very easy. Just be sure to pull the sticks straight up out of the socket not sideways pressure.You are correct, with that mixed ram you are not getting the full benefit of the Mushkins. Also, for FSX - anything more that 6gb is a complete waste anyway.Just remember - power off - unplug system - TOUCH CASE TO ELIMINATE STATIC ELECTRICITY - release clips - remove sticks. Try not to pull any other cables - that's about it.Good luck,Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Guest jahman
The memory controller will access all RAM at the speed of the slowest DIMM, at least on Intel systems. It may be possible for AMD systems to access RAM as you propose since they have an "unganged" mode of operation which allows DIMMs to be accessed individually, but I have not tested for this.
Thanks for the clarification! :-)Cheers,- jahman.