Sign in to follow this  
Guest GZR_Frenchy

New Bill Lyons Calm Water Textures

Guest product

Wondering if anyone has loaded these up yet? How do they compare to Daniel's (wonderful) efforts last week at creating smaller, more realistic waves?Best,Joel

Guest papatango

I did not prefer his first version, but this version is great. It makes the following improvements:1) Waves are smaller, so they look more realistic from a greater height. 2) The sparkle factor has been toned down, so again it looks more realistic.3) Texture sizes went from 342 KB to 257 KB (the original FS textures were about 1350 KB), so they are frame-rate friendly.Great job Bill!PapaTango

Guest Bigshot

I like em' but I left the default oceanfield texture in place. I didn't like Bill's new oceanfield texture as the water was flat with no waves at all. Must be that he and I both use ATI cards. The default oceanfield texture is just right. Pretty much the same as before. The white dots are completely gone. Just see some whitecaps off in the distance every once in a while. These are not as shiny as the first set and the cycling is almost unnoticeable now.

Hi Joel,Yes, I've just installed them and I can say quite categorically these are much, much better! Not perfect, but oh so close :)Thank you Bill and Lynn, for me these new water textures are making all the difference to my enjoyment of the sim. Unlike the previous set, you can now fly low and the sense of realism is pretty much maintained. The cycling, while still noticeable, is quite acceptable and gone are those wretched white patches which destroyed it for me. I'm very happy!I concur with Bigshot's feelings concerning the default oceanfield texture appearing more realistic, but otherwise I have accepted Bill and Lynns' replacement files as is.Mike

Guest jase439

These are a substantial improvement over the original release. I think, however, I remain partial to the "Rogers Water" textures and environment maps. The jury is still out - but my present feeling is that Bill's textures give the water just a bit too much of a pristine feel - a little too reflective. The water feels almost as if it was 'buffed to a polished sheen' Hard to explain.It looks pretty darn good in the Caribbean where the waters really are that pristine - but a bit out of sorts when you're flying over a lake.J

Guest N247BK

I may be the lone holdout in this opinion, but I say "PERFECT".Bill, how it is that you figured out the sine/cosine sequences, that Microsoft baked in, and interlaced these truly effective textures to emulate a completely undefinable happenstance of nature, is quite a bit beyond my pedestrian level of comprehension.I like the "softer" wave action overall, but amazingly, could not wait to show my friends the "action" set (if you don't mind my coining such a phrase at your expense), as they are simply spectacular.Marvelous work ... ... "may the passion be with you"!

I think the New Textures from Lynn and Bill Lyons and Daniel and are Fantastic and Excellent :-) Hardworking contributers to FS Realism :-)With whats avalable now you can mix and match to your own personal tasteI think there work is great especially in there striving for ExcellenceWell Done ThankyouGregNew Zealand

Guest GZR_Frenchy

Yes, well done!! First a simple "Thank you". I am a VFR flier and humble scenery maker without anything new to upload that is worth uploading. Me flies low to the ground and always checking the scenery. Spent too many hours in the real Heavy Iron in real life to care about it all that much. Like what you are doing. Don't stop. Truly good stuff.Frenchy -- out.