Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

northridge

Gives me "Direct To" and them "Fly heading......"

I accept that there is a whole bunch of subtle details of RC that I have not learned even after all this time, and I accept that I often do things wrong - but - sometimes RC is simply incomprehensible in its response to me.Three times I asked for a Direct To and was given it, but each time RC then told me to "Fly heading x until suitable for navigation". And the heading was to where? To a waypoint that I had asked - and been give permission - to miss.Three times - I asked for the next waypoint on my plan, got given it, then told to go back again.And once again, what the dickens is "Until receiving suitable for navigation"? Suitable what? Footwear? If my navigation system is picking up the necessary info to follow the flightplan - isnt that "suitable for navigation"? So why do I get given a new heading again .... "Until receiving suitable........" I am already receiving suitable.....!!!!!!!I paused my flight to post this - I got so angry at not being able to understand what was going on, and if RC wont allow me to Fly Direct then its going to Terminate me and I will have a ruined flight.I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer I know, but RC seems to be stuck in a loop of contradictions here.

I accept that there is a whole bunch of subtle details of RC that I have not learned even after all this time, and I accept that I often do things wrong - but - sometimes RC is simply incomprehensible in its response to me.Three times I asked for a Direct To and was given it, but each time RC then told me to "Fly heading x until suitable for navigation". And the heading was to where? To a waypoint that I had asked - and been give permission - to miss.Three times - I asked for the next waypoint on my plan, got given it, then told to go back again.And once again, what the dickens is "Until receiving suitable for navigation"? Suitable what? Footwear? If my navigation system is picking up the necessary info to follow the flightplan - isnt that "suitable for navigation"? So why do I get given a new heading again .... "Until receiving suitable........" I am already receiving suitable.....!!!!!!!I paused my flight to post this - I got so angry at not being able to understand what was going on, and if RC wont allow me to Fly Direct then its going to Terminate me and I will have a ruined flight.I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer I know, but RC seems to be stuck in a loop of contradictions here.
have you flown the tutorials. they were designed, tested, documented, and illustrated to take you into all aspects of rc, so there would be no surprises.without a log, i can't tell you why rc told you what it told you. there is a reason for telling you what it told you, because of something that was done, or wasn't done. but i have no idea. what phase of flight? was there a departure procedure? did you miss a checkpoint? what did the first line of the rc menu display say? it will always tell you where rc wants you to fly, and what heading to fly.do if you can duplicated the problem, make a log, send it to me, i'll tell you what you did, what rc said and why, and what you were supposed to do.the explanation for the phraseology is in the manual, and in the tutorials. request direct is covered in the tutorials, i'm pretty sure.jd

Thank you JD, and obviously I understand and respect your response and the nicely-worded-RTFM! The only thing I am still cross about is that RC definately gave me, on three successive occasions, contradictory instructions - although as you said, an explanation will be found in the manual.A comfy chair, a "nice cup of tea", my reading glasses and a dose of patience are in order.Thank youNicholas

Thank you JD, and obviously I understand and respect your response and the nicely-worded-RTFM! The only thing I am still cross about is that RC definately gave me, on three successive occasions, contradictory instructions - although as you said, an explanation will be found in the manual.A comfy chair, a "nice cup of tea", my reading glasses and a dose of patience are in order.Thank youNicholas
rc doesn't know, either does a real world controller know, when you are receiving a navaid's signal. "fly heading 120 until you receive the signal, then direct the checkpoint using the navaid's signal"you also have to progress a checkpoint within a given distance. within 2 miles in a departure procedure.if you miss a checkpoint, rc basically vectors you to the missed checkpoint, which might be behind you.if the checkpoint you want to fly to is at a bearing of 120, but you are so far from the 120 radial, and the fmc's pink/green/purple/red line is some distance from you, you are no cleared to fly a heading to the pink/green/purple/red line, and then follow the line. you are cleared direct to the checkpoint, by the flying the heading you are given.jd