Sign in to follow this  
sunbeam

Do I need to upgrade to SP1

I am new here having just got FSX and as I have a couple of questions I will start separate threads for each one which I hope is OK.I have the Gold Edition with the Acceleration pack but don't know if I need to download and install SP1 (or SP2?). The version number of my FSX is 10.00 and Build 60905.00My system is Asrock 880GM-LE motherboard with inbuilt ATI 4250 graphics, a Radeon 5670 512Mb graphics card, Phenom XII 965 4 core CPU, 4Gb ram (but only 3.3Gb seen by the OS) and a Seagate 1Tb Barracuda HDD and running XP Pro SP2.Thanks

I am new here having just got FSX and as I have a couple of questions I will start separate threads for each one which I hope is OK.I have the Gold Edition with the Acceleration pack but don't know if I need to download and install SP1 (or SP2?). The version number of my FSX is 10.00 and Build 60905.00My system is Asrock 880GM-LE motherboard with inbuilt ATI 4250 graphics, a Radeon 5670 512Mb graphics card, Phenom XII 965 4 core CPU, 4Gb ram (but only 3.3Gb seen by the OS) and a Seagate 1Tb Barracuda HDD and running XP Pro SP2.Thanks
Hello SunbeamWelcome to the forums.No. You just need to install FSX and then Acceleration. Both SP1 and SP2 are included.Happy flying :( Ian

I would install FSX to C:\Games (not Program Files) to solve UAC issues.Install FSX and fly default flight.Shutdown and install Acceleration.Setup with NickN and add ******* auto FSX.cfg.Have funDaveIntel Core I7 975 Quadcore OC @ 3.75 Ghz (Air)Asus P6T DLX V2 X58 1366, BD Combo Plextor B310SA6GB (3x2GB) Corsair Dominator DDR3 1866C7GTHIS ATI 4890 1GB, Samsung 24", Saitek X-52 ProLogitech Z680 5.1 Speakers, G15 Keyboard, G5 MouseThermaltake Element S Case, Corsair 850HX PSUC: Intel 80GB SSD w/Windows 7 Home 64D: WD 300GB Velocity Raptor w/FSX+Accel+GEX, F4AFE: WD 1TB Caviar Black w/Data SH4

I would install FSX to C:\Games (not Program Files) to solve UAC issues.Install FSX and fly default flight.Shutdown and install Acceleration.Setup with NickN and add ******* auto FSX.cfg.Have fun
The guy is new to FSX and has posted two posts here. So... I would advice him to install FSX and then Acceleration (forget about that shutdown) and Have fun. Skip the other steps until you decided you really like FSX and want more out of it. ;)It could well be that sunbeam, being new to it all, doesn't have a CLUE what 'Setup with NickN' means is and what ******* auto FSX.cfg is... So that bit information will only make things more confusing for him. First of all, as I said, there is no need to dig into all that at this stage, and secondly, IF you suggest stuff like that to a newbie, please add links. :(

Hi,You need to run FSX in order to create the FSX.ini file before installing a SP or Acceleration, so that advice is spot on. I am sure that a quick search of any FSX forum will lead the OP to who NickN is and what the auto FSX.cfg stuff is about.

Hi,You need to run FSX in order to create the FSX.ini file before installing a SP or Acceleration, so that advice is spot on. I am sure that a quick search of any FSX forum will lead the OP to who NickN is and what the auto FSX.cfg stuff is about.
Hm, I doubt if you really need to run FSX before installing an SP, because I am almost 100% sure I installed FSX and the SP's a few times without running the program in between... but if you are right, I stand corrected. :( And imho if you really want to help a newbie, simply posting some 'googable' words isn't the best solution. :( No one can deny that the posted line would have looked better like this:Setup with NickN and add ******* auto FSX.cfg. :(

Hi,MS tells use to run FSX between updates.If people have the time and knowledge to post the links, very well.

Thanks for all the responsesI always install programs to dedicated directories, in this case drive I, which will only be for games etc. Do not like to clutter up my C drive. I also ran FSX first a few times and then installed the Acceleration pack so all seems to be working OK now.I will have some more questions re configuring shortlymel