Sign in to follow this  
VEIV

FSX Trees POP-UP

hi guys, i have this thing that annoys the hell out of me... trees popping up! and the blurry world in the front, even on max fsx settings so blurry in the distence.. ?here is a movie about it i made..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0jkVkdAEMw

My pc setupi7 870 @ 3.71gb GTX 460 Cyclone OCMSI p55a-GD654gb memory the graphics @ fsx in-game are all max oud exepet water, ai-traffic & some wind stuff,I use nvidia inspector with the settings from another topic.. 33k5a9x.jpgrsybev.jpgIn fsx.cfg i used the trees trick to reduce the amount of the trees, TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=1700TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=1900Is there something that can be done about those trees popping up like this.. :(

Is there something that can be done about those trees popping up like this.. :(
The only thing you can do, is increase the LOD_radius in the fsx.cfg file.Try 5.5 instead of 4.5 (the official FSX maximum). Some people go to 6.5 but that impacts my performance. Be aware that FSX will set it back to 4.5 if you make other changes.. I save a 5.5 setting and load it in-flightwith Options/settings/LoadThe autogen popping is an attempt by the FSX authors to improve performancewhich unfortunately cannot be turned off..BTW, the real world is blurry/hazy in the distance too :(

Bert

I tryd the 5.5, i dont know if it makes a big difference.. in the past and the movie you can see it loads it fast and small groups popping-up, now with 5.5 it looks like it pop's up slower but when it does it does it with bigger ammount of trees..

This was a feature that was broken with FSX SP1. If you do a search you will find lots written about it. It is explained here:http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1191765Specifically this section:The vastly improved batching of Autogen was one of the major performance items in SP1 and helps to reach our target reduction of 35-40% for Draw and SetTexure calls. However, it does have an implication that, when coupled with a feature we lost from FS9, you should be aware of. FSX does not “alpha-fade” Autogen in the distance. This makes for a discernable “pop” of Autogen objects. SP1 batches objects in a 2 km boundary. This, when coupled with the lack of “alpha-fade”; does make the Autogen “pop” a little more obvious than in RTM. We think it’s a fair tradeoff, though, for the performance gain. For DX10 we will look at bringing the “alpha-fade” back.But of course FSX development was killed before that happened.This is my biggest bug-bear in FSX. My system is quite capable of running with autogen at Dense or Very Dense, but the popping is unacceptable, so I have to run with the sliders way back. I'm not convinced upping the LOD value makes any difference either. There are some very clever folks out there who have worked wonders to improve FSX performance for us all, but this seems to be the one 'tweak' which has eluded them.

but this seems to be the one 'tweak' which has eluded them.
There are certain tweaks that can NOT be applied via fsx.cfg edits. They require modding .dll files via hex edits. Unfortunately, imagine the 'chaos' this changes will cause with add-on developers if we start distributing .dll files with all kind of mods, hacks and hex edits. Not pretty.If anyone is interested and you know how to use IDA, Ollydbg, Visual Studio and a calculator, with just a little imagination you *CAN* tweak a lot of things, but If you require an explanation on 'how' to do it, then you should not be doing it in the first place, so my advice is to wait for MSF. You can do cool things with hex edits, like enable the Cloud Shadows 'checkbox' in the FSX main screen. OBVIOUSLY, its useless because the option was never implemented, but at least it shows you the kind of things that can be accomplished.

"Tweak" was probably the wrong word, but it's the best I could come up with at the time ! I know this can't be fixed in FSX.CFG. And when I hear both NickN and Bojote saying (very loudly) that it can't (practicably) be fixed, then I have to believe it ! But it still bugs me. And I still harbour a hope that someone will come up with a way of alleviating it. I did read somewhere of someone working on a 'wipe' effect to make the 'popping' less obvious, but not sure whether anything came of it. Anyone else remember that ?