Sign in to follow this  
OldFlyboy

Cannot Recover From Stall

Having flown a real Beech Debonair and T-34 I know these aircraft are slow to stall and very easy to recover when they do. However, the sim version frequently stalls while climbing to assigned altitude even though it is well above stall speed. Once the stall begins the aircraft is no longer flyable. It either goes from stall to stall or trying to enter a spin. Trim, power, elevator are all totally ineffective.This is a beautiful plane with great sounds but I am about to give up on it as a cross county flyer. I never know when or why it will go wrong.A couple of flights, with auto pilot engaged, flying straight and level, Radar Contact Co-pilot in charge I have left the room for a couple of minutes and returned to find it has gone int "stall mode".Either this flight model needs to be fixed or I need to know what I have done to cause this problem. No other aircraft, purchased or default, ever do this.

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

Having flown a real Beech Debonair and T-34 I know these aircraft are slow to stall and very easy to recover when they do. However, the sim version frequently stalls while climbing to assigned altitude even though it is well above stall speed. Once the stall begins the aircraft is no longer flyable. It either goes from stall to stall or trying to enter a spin. Trim, power, elevator are all totally ineffective.This is a beautiful plane with great sounds but I am about to give up on it as a cross county flyer. I never know when or why it will go wrong.A couple of flights, with auto pilot engaged, flying straight and level, Radar Contact Co-pilot in charge I have left the room for a couple of minutes and returned to find it has gone int "stall mode".Either this flight model needs to be fixed or I need to know what I have done to cause this problem. No other aircraft, purchased or default, ever do this.
Is this the same issue as "Losing Power" a couple of posts further down?

Bert

Not the same Bert. No power loss at all, just a steep climb for a second or so (even with AP on), then a series of stalls that cannot be stopped. I have but the Bonanza in the hangar for now and am trying the C340. More on that in the C340 forum....Carenado really needs to address some of these flaws.

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

Not the same Bert. No power loss at all, just a steep climb for a second or so (even with AP on), then a series of stalls that cannot be stopped. I have but the Bonanza in the hangar for now and am trying the C340. More on that in the C340 forum....Carenado really needs to address some of these flaws.
I've never seen this - are you sure it is a "Carenado problem"?FSX weather can sometimes have discontinuities that make the aircraft climb or descenduncontrollably..

Bert

You are absolutely correct Bert. I should not have said that.....it may be caused by something else. My reaction was/is a reflex because it is the only plane that does it. The stall doesn't bother me, it is the inability to recover. This plane is a treat to fly in real life and recovers from any unnatural flight condition with little effort on the pilot's part. Could it be the auto-pilot? It will not disengage automatically ala JS41 so while trying to recover from the violent stalls I must press the AP button to turn it off. Actually, the stalls are so violent that a slight bit of rudder at the top should initiate a spin.For now, I'm enjoying the 340 too much to worry about the Bonanza. Thanks again for all the good panel help.

Neal Howard

betateam.jpg

You are absolutely correct Bert. I should not have said that.....it may be caused by something else. My reaction was/is a reflex because it is the only plane that does it. The stall doesn't bother me, it is the inability to recover. This plane is a treat to fly in real life and recovers from any unnatural flight condition with little effort on the pilot's part. Could it be the auto-pilot? It will not disengage automatically ala JS41 so while trying to recover from the violent stalls I must press the AP button to turn it off. Actually, the stalls are so violent that a slight bit of rudder at the top should initiate a spin.For now, I'm enjoying the 340 too much to worry about the Bonanza. Thanks again for all the good panel help.
This is a guess on my part, but if the AP is struggling to counteract the "FSX turbulence", it maywell move the elevator trim far away from the center. Unfortunately, FSX has an unrealistic trim / elevatorimplementation where once the trim is way off, you cannot recover by elevator pressure alone.

Bert