Sign in to follow this  
kiwiflyer45

DBS Terrain Map

HiI've had the DBS Terrain Map for some time now and agree with everything you said in your well-written and informative review. There's just a couple of weaknesses with the Terrain Map that I would mention. For those of us who want to come as close as possible to reality, using a pop-gauge is not a good option. I want to install it into the panel, including VC. But I've had very little success in doing so. In all but one case, when I cranked up the sim the gauge was in the panel exactly how I wanted it, but when I tried to power it up, it just stays dark. In one case, it works in the 2D panel but wouldn't work installed in the VC. In the others I've tried, it works in neither. But according to the manual (and common sense) adding it to a panel IS an option. I have numerous add-on systems from Reality XP and all work perfectly in both 2D panel and VC, so I'm not sure why this one doesn't. If they could emulate Reality XP so the gauge can be installed into the panel AND then pop up when you click on it for a closer view, that would really make it an excellent product and perhaps more attractive to the sim community.The second is a VERY smalll issue. It comes with a single color gauge bitmap. It might be a nice touch if DBS would supply some optional versions of the gauge in different colors so they blend more realistically with different panels.For those of you who are wondering what a realistic use of the gauge might be, think Special Ops. Used with the Captain Sim C130 or AlphaSim CH/MH53 it can make low level ops at night or low visibility a challenging but 'doable' option. Fun! (You can't fly "nap of the earth" as the refresh rate is a bit too slow - but you can still simulate low-level night ops) :Big Grin: None of this is meant to detract from your accurate review and an excellent product. But I do think there are a few small things that perhaps could and should be addressed.

Thanks kiwiflyer45,Such a perspective never struck me while writing the review. Will widen my thoughts to incorporate this aspect for next time.Regards

Thanks kiwiflyer45,Such a perspective never struck me while writing the review. Will widen my thoughts to incorporate this aspect for next time.Regards
No problem - it's always a lot easier for someone who hasn't had to put all the hard work into writing a review to see something "missing." Wish I could solve the problem of incorporating it into panel/vc - I would use it a lot more... Take careianh

Bring%20It%20On.gif Without him knowing at the time that was one big blow to him as you can imagine and now many years later we have lost a great model designer. anyways my info comes from many different forums I read by Erick cantu himself over the years, the errors are most likely what you would see if you download and ported the sga Dc-10 into fsx. since it is in fs9 made many years ago. I'm very happy Angelique did the review and I agree with 100% and I love her reviews.:Praying:wholesale pearl necklace