Is there a program that can be used to easily edit and add gauges to the VC. I have FS Panel Studio but it appears it only edits the 2d panel. Thanks for any help.

You can only replace gauges that are already defined in the VC. There is nothing else you can do.

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

You can only replace gauges that are already defined in the VC. There is nothing else you can do.
Ok, so your saying the only way is throught the panel.cfg file and edit the gauges there. Was hoping for a program I could display the panel and edit (No guessing of size) like you can the 2d panels.

Ok, so your saying the only way is throught the panel.cfg file and edit the gauges there. Was hoping for a program I could display the panel and edit (No guessing of size) like you can the 2d panels.
FS Panel Studio can open, display and edit existing virtual panel entries.What you can't do is create a new virtual cockpit entry with FSPS. For that you need to use notepad.exe or some other ASCII file editor, and that only if the aircraft already has existing gauge polygons built into the model.However, as Ed stated you cannot do much more than swap an existing gauge for another one of similar size and shape.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Hi,Depending on how the VC gauge polygons are created (i.e. individual gauge polygons or larger "panel" polys) you can use FS Panel Studio to swap gauges in the former case, or treat the area just like a 2D panel in the latter case. As Bill says, you have to create the VC section in the panel.cfg file in Notepad/Wordpad first, though.Hope this helps,

G'day there all ~S~

had a great fun time searching same. WHAT I did find through trial and error was that after a bit of digging and searching through panel cfg's I have been able to place the gps 500 instead of the NG 430 (?) gps in my VC panel , it works very well and sits there quite nicely. The hard part and tricky bits is getting the gauge you want in, to end up the same size (because it NEEDS TO FIT SNUGGLY like where the original gauge sits within the virtual panel.), A good tip is, as example from my personalised piper super pacer the last two lots of numbers in the "gauge line" in the ------   gauge06=fs9gps!gps_500,  16,430,713,287,vc  <~~~~~~ here (I underlined and made bold font for showing.)  is the gauge size.(I had to tweek the size/s by,   - or +   , 1 or 2 or 3 amounts) until I got it to show nicely as  the original size for the original GPS gauge was too big for the GPS 500 stock gauge to fit.

you can usually stick in any stock gauge & as a rule of thumb find the gauge you want (non stock too) that looks nearly same size so it wont look crappy.

copy paste making SURE you paste correctly, you gauge into original gauge place, remember to check gauge position number ie: 06 or 03 or 00 etc,is right, 

the next numbers are the positioning of the gauge within the VC panel, DO NOT TOUCH ! AND DON'T CHANGE THE SPACES IN THE LINE !

next, as I pointed out is the sizes. I also found it OK to and the  ,vc on the end just to make sure it gets picked up as part of VC panel.

with some strange gauge names it will take a bit of detective work through your other planes panel folders to be sure you are changing the gauge you want to change from's NAME is correct ! as a gps 500 doesn't like to be stuck in a small circular "clock" gauge place. & won't show.

Please See below for a trimmed down copied section from my pacer's panel cfg. I have of course removed the rest of the panel info to make it easier and less confusing,I hope lol)

the $pan2.bmp tells that it is a Vcockpit panel. 

//--------------------------------------------------------
[Vcockpit02]
file=$pan2.bmp 
file_1024=$pan2.bmp 
size_mm=1024,1024
visible=1
pixel_size=1024,1024s
texture=$pan2

(changed font colour to show the gauge I am sticking in)
gauge06=fs9gps!gps_500,  16,430,713,287,vc                  <~~~~~~ here (I underlined and made bold font the gauge sizes reference bit  for showing.)  gauge size ! Please Note !

addenda -----   I also added the gps500 to a new 2D window for convenience  .

I hope this has helped in some small way. I have just got back into the nitty gritty of MS flight simming after a long time (See CFS 1  2  & 3) when we had the fun of the "Zone"

currently rummadging around my good ole FSX around Oz as the stock FSX aussie scenery is rubbish !. it's the little airfields like Karumba in Qnld that are smudges only and the modern day fields  now have much more stuff going on and surrounds. & I WANTY more stuff ! LOL.

Having recently lost my right arm and with covid quarrantinies, I need to keep my brain active and learn to do things as a "lefty " now.

learning to bowl lefty at grade cricket has been a BIG learning curve, I made a prosthetic type attachment for me' bat so I can still bat right handed, which is WIP as going for a hit to cow corner I finds that the bat, with inner sleeve and the whole prosthetic flies off all together !, a fun time in the nets when that happens & glad we all have to wear helmets now when batting under cricket association. rules. LOL. I Throw a ball though like a 5 year old girl. grrrrrrr, My NEXT big stumpy fix is to make a soft prosthetic with a buffer on the end for the stump pain I continually have, so I can get back out on the Malibu again. Geeeeze louise I miss my surfing !.

stay safe and clear tail winds all.

hoo roo   Sharkzz aka Lozza

ps, any problems just ask someone else 🙃😁😉

Edited by Sharkzz
fixed up censorship spelling :)