Sign in to follow this  
stretch1365

Crash to Desktop at the end of a flight

Hi,I'm not sure if this should be posted here or not, if not i apologize. I have seen a similar problem described here once, but can't seem to find the post now i could use it!!So my problem is this. Most of my flights are a couple of hours duration, usually using PMDG MD11 or occasionally PMDG 747-400 around Europe, i have installed Ground Environment X and have the latest version 2 installed. The flight proceeds as expected until i start to descend towards my destination. Sometimes as i approach around 10 000ft the view out of the cockpit will just freeze up on me, without any warning, never to return to normal. This doesn't happen every time, but will end the flight when it does.My last two flights for example were from Stanstead to Lisbon the flight out was fine, not one problem. However the flight back was ok until i started descending towards Stanstead crossing over London. The FSX froze and the fault window said "your computer has run out of available memory." I'm using windows 7, 32bit with 3GB RAM, i3 dual core processor, Radeon HD5770 graphics card. I contacted my computer store, to see if it would be worth expanding the RAM to 4GB but they tell me Windows 7 will only recognize 3GB of RAM. So that doesn't sound like a fix!So my thoughts are, is this a problem with the computer loading the scenery for the destination, as when i start at Stanstead and fly over London the scenery is presumably already loaded when the flight starts, and so no problem is encountered. Will i have to reduce the scenery levels, which i'd sooner not do if i don't have to, in order to finish a flight?My other thought, is that London is what Microsoft say in the Learning Centre is a detailed area, as is Heathrow, which is rendered in greater detail than the default airports. This same problem occurred once on a flight to Anchorage Intl Airport, which i see is another "detailed" airport in FSX. Is there anyway to make these "detailed" airports to the same level as all the other ordinary airports in the FSX world?I have seen a posting somewhere here about a very similar problem, i think the fix was to change something in the FSX config file, would this help?I would be interested to hear from anybody with experience of this problem happening to them.Thanks for any help and i'm sorry to ramble on. Just trying to explain the problem clearly.David Phillips.

Happy Flying,

Dave Phillips.

Guest firehawk44
Hi,I'm not sure if this should be posted here or not, if not i apologize. I have seen a similar problem described here once, but can't seem to find the post now i could use it!!So my problem is this. Most of my flights are a couple of hours duration, usually using PMDG MD11 or occasionally PMDG 747-400 around Europe, i have installed Ground Environment X and have the latest version 2 installed. The flight proceeds as expected until i start to descend towards my destination. Sometimes as i approach around 10 000ft the view out of the cockpit will just freeze up on me, without any warning, never to return to normal. This doesn't happen every time, but will end the flight when it does.My last two flights for example were from Stanstead to Lisbon the flight out was fine, not one problem. However the flight back was ok until i started descending towards Stanstead crossing over London. The FSX froze and the fault window said "your computer has run out of available memory." I'm using windows 7, 32bit with 3GB RAM, i3 dual core processor, Radeon HD5770 graphics card. I contacted my computer store, to see if it would be worth expanding the RAM to 4GB but they tell me Windows 7 will only recognize 3GB of RAM. So that doesn't sound like a fix!So my thoughts are, is this a problem with the computer loading the scenery for the destination, as when i start at Stanstead and fly over London the scenery is presumably already loaded when the flight starts, and so no problem is encountered. Will i have to reduce the scenery levels, which i'd sooner not do if i don't have to, in order to finish a flight?My other thought, is that London is what Microsoft say in the Learning Centre is a detailed area, as is Heathrow, which is rendered in greater detail than the default airports. This same problem occurred once on a flight to Anchorage Intl Airport, which i see is another "detailed" airport in FSX. Is there anyway to make these "detailed" airports to the same level as all the other ordinary airports in the FSX world?I have seen a posting somewhere here about a very similar problem, i think the fix was to change something in the FSX config file, would this help?I would be interested to hear from anybody with experience of this problem happening to them.Thanks for any help and i'm sorry to ramble on. Just trying to explain the problem clearly.David Phillips.
This is an old out of memory issue that can be fixed. You should upgrade to Windows 7, 64 bit where ALL the memory is used. The 64 bit version should be on your Windows 7 DVD (I have the 32/64 bit versions on mine). If you do not want to upgrade, you need to install the userva 3GB switch. Go to the following link for instructions on how to do this and more info on this memory problem - http://www.simforums.com/forums/topic29041.html.Best regards,Jim

Hi Jim,Thanks for the quick reply to my problem, I've just been checking that link and will work through it next time i have some spare time available. For the minute i've bookmarked the link and will read through the suggestions.Thanks David Phillips.

This is an old out of memory issue that can be fixed. You should upgrade to Windows 7, 64 bit where ALL the memory is used. The 64 bit version should be on your Windows 7 DVD (I have the 32/64 bit versions on mine). If you do not want to upgrade, you need to install the userva 3GB switch. Go to the following link for instructions on how to do this and more info on this memory problem - http://www.simforums...opic29041.html.Best regards,Jim

Happy Flying,

Dave Phillips.

I have experienced the same problem...only at the end of a flight did FSX crash to desktop. I looked what was causing the problem in the errorlog and it was g3d.dll.Reinstalling the drivers for the graphics card did the trick there....since then it hasn´t happened again. So you have to deinstall the drivers and then do a new install of your catalyst drivers.My system:Win7 64Bit4GB DDR3 RamCore i5 3.2GhzATI 5560 1GB RamYou should look and see if you have the same problem, it sure sounds like it.