Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PAY7607

Any utilities to make FS9 better?

The title says it all , i want to know about programs which make fs9 better, my sim is running pretty heavy because of lots and lots of addons , hence it takes lot of time to load and go from one step to another , and the frames have also taken a very serious beating!All i want to know is like we have the defragmenter and cleanup utilities for our pc, anything of the sort for FS??I want to make it a little more cleaner!Thanks for any help!RegardsAtamvir Multani

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

The title says it all , i want to know about programs which make fs9 better, my sim is running pretty heavy because of lots and lots of addons , hence it takes lot of time to load and go from one step to another , and the frames have also taken a very serious beating!All i want to know is like we have the defragmenter and cleanup utilities for our pc, anything of the sort for FS??I want to make it a little more cleaner!Thanks for any help!RegardsAtamvir Multani
Not really. The best (not easiest) remedy to an aged Flight Sim install is a clean install. Adding only things you use/need. There's no magic program, that's for sure! I'm sure you're also using some of the fs9.cfg tweaks that have been around for ages. Honestly, all of the programs I've seen have been bogus snake oil remedies. O&O Defrag and CCleaner are the only two programs I really use. I run CCleaner, O&O Defrag, and Microsoft Security Essentials in that order monthly. The antivirus is ran weekly.Every year I reformat my hard drives and reinstall Windows, saving only files that I need (Add ons, school work, etc.) to another bulk storage hard drive. Also helps in general system performance after a year of collecting junk. By no means do I suggest anyone reformat, but rather give it a thought after backing up things you need. Everything I've mentioned I'm sure you already practice, but I figured I'd add my soap box to the discussion, anyway.I'll add that's it's very important for Flight Sim performance and stability to be responsible in the add ons you use. The cleaner the better. :(

Agreed - Less is More (along with regular maintenance) is a good formula when it comes to FS performance.It is far too easy to keep adding aircrtaft and scenery enhancements which never get used.I try to keep it as simple as possible.