Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rpowers

Where are key assignments stored.

I am doing reinstall and I think I backed up all necessary folders.Where are my keyboard assignments stored?Which files do I need to copy over?Thanks,Ron

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I am doing reinstall and I think I backed up all necessary folders.Where are my keyboard assignments stored?Which files do I need to copy over?Thanks,Ron
Ron, They are stored in the standard.xml file in C:\Users\your_account_name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Controls

Ron, They are stored in the standard.xml file in C:\Users\your_account_name\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Controls
Thanks for that.So I copy my backup standar.xml file in controls to the new controls folder after reinstalling FSX?Ron

Yep. You can actually have any number of named .xml files to match any number of selectable fsx.cfg's if you wish. In the [Controls] section of the fsx.cfg you put in the name of the controls file you want to use, having renamed a Standard.xml to that new name: Edit that xml's file header and fsx will use that control setup, so if you are switching from, say an A2A B17 to a B727 or a BirDog you might want three fsx.cfg's along with three control xml's.

Yep. You can actually have any number of named .xml files to match any number of selectable fsx.cfg's if you wish. In the [Controls] section of the fsx.cfg you put in the name of the controls file you want to use, having renamed a Standard.xml to that new name: Edit that xml's file header and fsx will use that control setup, so if you are switching from, say an A2A B17 to a B727 or a BirDog you might want three fsx.cfg's along with three control xml's.
Thanks for the additional info.That will come in handy.

I copied my old standar.xml file into controls and the key assignments did not change.Still default.Do I remove default standard.xml first?Thanks,Ron

I copied my old standar.xml file into controls and the key assignments did not change.Still default.Do I remove default standard.xml first?Thanks,Ron
No. Have an fsx.cfg configured as a 'default' file, along with a 'default' standard.xml. Save this somewhere as a backup. This will contain all the "good" config info that your regular, Cessna 172 default has, and will be using the Standard.xml. For the rest of it, and a batch file:-