I want to try the new 590 GTX card. So if I am running dual monitors 1. cockpit view, 2. with FMC and throttles window, will the 2nd card boost performance? There not much happening on the monitor#2. Since SLI will be disabled is it true that video card #2 will have no effect on my performace of FPS on monitor 1? And since monitor 2 shows the FMC and throttles, not much "horsepower" is being used to support monitor 2 if using 1 card.These are thethings I don't understand. Your advice will be appreciated. I want to order a top end maching from Stealthmachines.

Paul Gugliotta

One gtx590 will be more than enough for two screens. I run four off my gtx460...Bjorn

I want to try the new 590 GTX card. So if I am running dual monitors 1. cockpit view, 2. with FMC and throttles window, will the 2nd card boost performance? There not much happening on the monitor#2. Since SLI will be disabled is it true that video card #2 will have no effect on my performace of FPS on monitor 1? And since monitor 2 shows the FMC and throttles, not much "horsepower" is being used to support monitor 2 if using 1 card.These are thethings I don't understand. Your advice will be appreciated. I want to order a top end maching from Stealthmachines.
Paul- it is the views that soak up horsepower- not paticularly sub panels/popups. On my triple monitor setup, only very large sub panels such as Overhead or Com have a measureable impact. With jets I usually fly with both pilot/copilot FMC/CDUS open so as to have two different pages open simultaneously- and can't detect any reduction in FPS.With two monitors available- any reason you are not displaying TWO views? The atached thumbnail pic shows it is quite practical to run 3 monitors & display THREE views, all running nicely on my ancient AMD 1.8 system with two GeForce FX 5200 vid cards.AR

Guest jahman

The 590 is a dual GPU card: FSX does not work well with these cards due to an increase in stutters. Of course things are likely to change when Flight is released, buth that will be then.Cheers,- jahman.

I guess I am old school. I love 1 montor to be a 2D view and the second one to have a CDU and throttles. For some reason, I am soooo happy with that. Right now, I am tired of low performance and running FSX with sliders at 1/2 with the LD767 or the PDMG 747. When the PDMG 737NGX or the LD757 comes out, I bet it'll be worse.So I'll attempt a new computer with the i7 990(OC it to the max) and one 590 card (12 mB ram should suffice).It has to beat my dell 720 with dual 8800 GTX Ultras and my 3.0 CPU OC to ~3.5 and Vista32. It gives me a toy to experiment with. If it don't work out, I can upgrade the old rid to Win 7-64. But I've seen some great performanace on Youtube with lesser of equipment.

Paul Gugliotta

I guess I am old school. I love 1 montor to be a 2D view and the second one to have a CDU and throttles. For some reason, I am soooo happy with that. Right now, I am tired of low performance and running FSX with sliders at 1/2 with the LD767 or the PDMG 747. When the PDMG 737NGX or the LD757 comes out, I bet it'll be worse.So I'll attempt a new computer with the i7 990(OC it to the max) and one 590 card (12 mB ram should suffice).It has to beat my dell 720 with dual 8800 GTX Ultras and my 3.0 CPU OC to ~3.5 and Vista32. It gives me a toy to experiment with. If it don't work out, I can upgrade the old rid to Win 7-64. But I've seen some great performanace on Youtube with lesser of equipment.
Paul- are you sure that your 2D view isn't somehow overlapping onto the other monitor? Even by just 1/32"! That will REALLY hit FPS badly. Try dragging a side edge of the View away from monitor #2.Here is a pic of PMDG 747 with both CDUs, and the lower EICAS display overlapped on top of the Throttle quadrant. (Click on the quadrant to bring it to the top.) Plus triple views! This pic is FS9 but I have seen FSX running full height triple views- about two years ago- so it wasn't using today's high powered 'puters!AR