Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Airfan

How to save an edited AFCAD file?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I cant seem to save an edited AFCAD for the FSDT KDFW airport. Does anyone know how to properly save the file?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but I cant seem to save an edited AFCAD for the FSDT KDFW airport. Does anyone know how to properly save the file?
The afcad which FSDT KDFW uses is located here (assuming a default installation in FS2004):C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\FSdreamteam\KDFW\sceneryBe very cautious - (be sure you have a backup first) before trying to edit their afcad as unless you use the same utility to edit it as was used to create it, you will likely loose a great deal of nav data.I cannot tell by the name of the afcad (ap_kdfw.BGL) which utility was used but would guess it was likely ADE9X - that is only a guess however.In any case, do NOT use the AFCAD utility by Lee Swordy to edit the file for the reasons stated above.As to your "saving" issue, if you are running Vista or Win7 you may not have the proper permissions set up so you can save such edits.Hope that helps.

The afcad which FSDT KDFW uses is located here (assuming a default installation in FS2004):C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\FSdreamteam\KDFW\sceneryBe very cautious - (be sure you have a backup first) before trying to edit their afcad as unless you use the same utility to edit it as was used to create it, you will likely loose a great deal of nav data.I cannot tell by the name of the afcad (ap_kdfw.BGL) which utility was used but would guess it was likely ADE9X - that is only a guess however.In any case, do NOT use the AFCAD utility by Lee Swordy to edit the file for the reasons stated above.As to your "saving" issue, if you are running Vista or Win7 you may not have the proper permissions set up so you can save such edits.Hope that helps.
I am not having a problem with finding the AFCAD. I cant figure out how to load it into ADE. When I try to load the airport using open airport using bgl it does not show up.The only AFCAD that is available is the default.

I am not having a problem with finding the AFCAD. I cant figure out how to load it into ADE. When I try to load the airport using open airport using bgl it does not show up.The only AFCAD that is available is the default.
I tried it (using ADE9X) and it loaded just fine for me.No clue why it does not load for you. I assume you are browsing to the correct location of the file in question (ap_kdfw.BGL) right?

Hi.ADE9X 'saves' Afcads in its own *.ad2 format. If you want to save the layout as a *.bgl, you need to use the 'Compile' option in the File menu, a couple of lines below 'Save airport'.If it doesn't compile that's probably because the afcad you are trying to modify has some unrecocnisable error in it. In that case, try Afcad221. It's more forgiving (which is to say it will include the errors in the new airport). Having written that, ADE9X is by far the better choice as it benefits from more recent understanding of the data contained within a bgl so is less likely to cause problems in your sim (or anyone else's im if you want to share the finished airport).Regards,D