Sign in to follow this  
heuts

IRS Alignment

Hello all,I've got a question about the IRS Alignment procedure of the PMDG B747-400 in FS9.When is this system aligned, And how do i see that?I've set it to align after 60 seconds, so after i select "Align", it tells me in the PFD: Alignment 1 minute.So now i wait for about one minute,and then i'm stuck.The manual tells me to select NAV after alignment, but when is this system aligned?And how does it tell you, it is?I hope someone can shed a light on this, as it would be much appreceated.Greets,

If you go to the General 747-400 forum and search for "IRS alignment", the approximately tenth search item is entitled "ILS Alignment" and dated August, 2010, but it is, in fact, a discussion of IRS alignment problems.This may help until someone knowledgeable comes along.Dugald Walker

Dugald Walker

Did you also input the position on the FMC? The IRS alignment will "hold" until the position is (manually) updated on the FMC. It may be the case that you need to input it twice if the FMC gives the "error" input IRS alignment.I set my IRSes to NAV, then immediately input position on the FMC. That way, when the countdown timer on the EICAS reaches 0, the nav displays et al automatically pop up. AFAIK that's how you're supposed to do it.

You select your location on the FMC by line-selecting (copy-paste between lines smile.gif) and placing it inside those blank boxes.

Eric Vander

Pilot and Controller Boston Virtual ATC

KATL - The plural form of cow.

KORD - Something you put in a power socket.

UNIT - Something of measure

My 747 Fuel Calculator

IRS selector Switches from 'OFF' to 'NAV'.On the POS INIT Page enter the 4 letter ICAO code of the ARPT.Then place the GPS coordinates into the scratchpad before upselecting them into the boxed entry area, the GPS coordinates (if available) should be the primary source of positional info for IRS Alignment.If a list of Gate coordinates are contained within the SIDSTAR File then the individual gate number can be entered in the GATE entry & upselected in the same way as above although the actual coordinates should be carefully compared to the current or actual position of your aircraft.Ensure the Parking Brake is set & the aircraft is stationary during the IRS Alignment sequence.IRS Alignment is complete once the ND displays the MAP (if in this mode) & the HORIZON is displayed on the PFD.

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'