Sign in to follow this  

I've been having some problems with blurries at my addon airports (Flightbeam KSFO X and Flytampa KTPA) and flying around PNW. The airports look absolutely atrocious. From what I understand, blurry textures come from the textures not loading from the HD quickly enough. I currently have FSX on it's own 1 TB 7200RPM/ 3 GB/S HD. I am looking at upgrading the drive to a SSD or VRaptor, but the SATA III models cost twice as much as their SATA II counterparts. Do any of you computer guru's out there know if the speed difference will affect FSX? I'm willing to spend whatever it takes to get optimal performance, but don't want to spend twice as much if I won't even be able to see it.The rest of my rig is as follows: i7 2600K @ 4.4 GHZ cooled by Corsair H70, 8GB Corsair XMS3 1333 Ram, ATI Radeon HD 5770 (I just ordered an Asus GTX 590 from Newegg!), Antec TPQ 1200W PSU.

From my own experience blurries was mainly (on my old PC) caused by slow Rams, I was running 1200MHz on a 775 socket, I will look at replacing your 1333MHz rams with faster one, a faster HDD or a SSD dedicated to FSX only can't hurt.As far as your GPU, a GTX 580 3GB of memory would have been a better choice assuming you are playing at high resolution http://www.newegg.co...d=1&name=3072MB also the card is running at higher MHz. The 590 is not a bad choice.Good luck.EDIT: Here is a review on 2 GTX 590 together.....eeeeeeeeeee, by the way these cards are BAD overclockers....don't try it if you don't want to fry it.http://www.overclock...rround_review/1

Can you post a pic of what you see? my old 5770 had many problems with drivers including completely broken Anisotropic Filtering, which results in aweful blurs all over the place. What driver version does the 5770 now? I think it was some 10.x that fixed it for me.Anyway, if you are getting an nVidia card, which is a good idea, avoid the GTX590 as Alain said.The SATA 3, 6GB/s for mechanical drives is a non factor, no mechanical drive can work at those speeds anyway, not ever Vraps

I'll see about posting a picture later when I get home. I'm reluctantly switching to Nvidia, and chose the 590 because I use three monitors, and I don't want spend a grand on twin 580's (or 1200 for 3GB 580's) or use the years old technology of TH2Go. Alot of people were having success overclocking 590's when they ran them on water, until Nvidia released the new drivers that prevent you from increasing the voltage. I don't think Alain said to avoid the 590, merely that they lack OC'ing headroom, and that's definitely true on stock cooling. As FSX isn't GPU limited I don't think it should cause me too many problems. The 5770 runs plenty smooth under normal conditions, but suffers in the weather, so I figure the switch should help there.

Can you post a pic of what you see? my old 5770 had many problems with drivers including completely broken Anisotropic Filtering, which results in aweful blurs all over the place. What driver version does the 5770 now? I think it was some 10.x that fixed it for me.Anyway, if you are getting an nVidia card, which is a good idea, avoid the GTX590 as Alain said.The SATA 3, 6GB/s for mechanical drives is a non factor, no mechanical drive can work at those speeds anyway, not ever Vraps

Guest jahman
...I currently have FSX on it's own 1 TB 7200RPM/ 3 GB/S HD....
Your HDD is 1.2 GB/S (100 MBy/Sec + 8/10 bit SATA error correction).Only cached data will be sent at 3 GB/S and the cache is 64 MBy, so not sueful for loadin scenery.Therefore SATA at 6 GB/S will make no difference at all WRT SATA at 3 GB/S.Cheers,- jahman.

Guest firehawk44
Your HDD is 1.2 GB/S (100 MBy/Sec + 8/10 bit SATA error correction).Only cached data will be sent at 3 GB/S and the cache is 64 MBy, so not sueful for loadin scenery.Therefore SATA at 6 GB/S will make no difference at all WRT SATA at 3 GB/S.Cheers,- jahman.
Agree with jahman. The only thing you're going to get with an SSD on a 6GB SATA port (my setup) is faster startup of Windows and FSX. The video card upgrade may help your blurries somewhat but the best solution is to lower your scenery settings, autogen, and AI.Best regards,Jim

Guest jahman
Agree with jahman. The only thing you're going to get with an SSD on a 6GB SATA port (my setup) is faster startup of Windows and FSX. The video card upgrade may help your blurries somewhat but the best solution is to lower your scenery settings, autogen, and AI.Best regards,Jim
The dramatically faster FSX load time will be due to the SSD, not the SATA 6 GB/Sec port (will again do just fine with a 3 GB/Sec port).Cheers,- jahman.