Sign in to follow this  
Holger

AI on Aircraft Carrier

Guest airbus_01

Hi, Has anyone been aboe to setup AI landing or departing from Aircraft Carriers? This would require an AFCAD file and I am not sure if you can open an Aircraft Carrier using AFCAD to even create one or not. May have to opt for Dynamic Scenery here.....Just Curious.Thanks,Mark

Hi Mark,I can't see any reason why you couldn't make an AFCAD file for a carrier. The problem as I see it would be the lack of arrestor cables. That is to say, you'd have to have AI aircraft that could stop on a mighty short runway for them to actually work with a carrier. Of course, it might be doable. I'm just not sure how MS calculates the runway required for AI aircraft.

Howdy:While I was working on my AI helicopters project for FS2002 I used the altered .air files to make an AFCAD file with 4 parking spots on the CVN-74 in the Juan de Fuca Strait (one of the carriers that came with the freeware version of arrestor cables). After a lot of tweaking I managed to get fairly steady carrier ops going, though with an eclectic mix of aircraft (see screenshots; I just used what I had available then). I never published it but sent it around to a few people for kicks.I haven't tried doing the same in FS9 but it should be possible. The problem with my altered .air/aicraft.cfg files were that the jets would cruise at a leisurely 150kts; that was necessary to have them take on the required VSTOL characteristics. Don't know how AFCAD2 would work with this kind of a project, given that it creates visible scenery elements.Cheers, Holgerhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/52355.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/52357.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/52358.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/52359.jpg

>I can't see any reason why you couldn't make an AFCAD file for>a carrier. The problem as I see it would be the lack of>arrestor cables. That is to say, you'd have to have AI>aircraft that could stop on a mighty short runway for them to>actually work with a carrier. Of course, it might be doable.>I'm just not sure how MS calculates the runway required for AI>aircraft.I think that you would need specially designed airfiles for this. Not only would you need to get the aircraft to catapult off somehow, but they would need "mega-brakes" when they hit the deck. The powerful air brake that we saw on earlier aircraft to simulate arrestor landings wouldn't work, since I think that many AI aircraft deploy the air brake in flight sometimes.Also, I've noticed that some aircraft just don't like landing on short runways for some reason. Maybe it's because of their speed, or whatever, but I had a problem with some aircraft doing endless go-arounds when I made an AFCAD for my Hua Hin scenery. Still, I'm sure that with enough tweaking and experimentation we can get something to work.- Martin

Guest nick46

I have managed to make AI carrier traffic for the USS Enterprise payware by ALPHASIM, at 4 different locations. Now this was easy as there was an afcad already that came with the addon carrier, which I modified and to which I added ramps and starting points. Then with TTools I changed some of the aircraft ALPHA had assigned and added some others, including ROYAL NAVY Phantom and Gannet. The a/c I used were a mixture of AI and proper flyable aircraft and I even added the Hovercontrol Blackhawk UH-60 helo. It was largely a trial and error thing, time consuming, and some of the planes did not show and I had to replace them with others. I tried the Hovercontrol special airfiles one can download for some helos and made the planes according to their REAdmes, but they did not show.(These Hovercontrol AI helos have folders with names that start with ZZZ...)The patterns they fly are controlled by TTools, so no need to worry about that. All of my flight plans had Touch N Go's for the parent carrier and flights of 2 hour duration of TAKE OFF FROM CARRIER-FLY-LAND ON CARRIER. In other words, I did not try to send the CV a/c to nearby land fields and back, which I may do next time to see what that mix can give. The work is not actually difficult of one knows TTools and Afcad2 well--it is time consuming, and needs testing each new mod one adds...that is all there is to it.

>Hi,> Has anyone been aboe to setup AI landing or departing from>Aircraft Carriers? This would require an AFCAD file and I am>not sure if you can open an Aircraft Carrier using AFCAD to>even create one or not. May have to opt for Dynamic Scenery>here.....>>Just Curious.>>Thanks,>>Mark Yes. I have sevaeral CVN's ( relocatable Stennis package ) and have made AFCAD's for all of them to add ILS and other airport facilities. I have four of them off the Golden Gate that have AI assigned and operating...takeoffs and landings. I also have a couple in the MED with AI there as well. It's not a straight forward process as FS2004 does some strange things with AI but if you are in to "tweaking" you can make the AI work. Paul

Wide-5.jpg