Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tri_tro

Flight Schools

I just had my first flight today with my dad's friend and wow i am i hooked. Flew from N51 to Orange County Airport in NY, almost stalled of short final, but my dads friend saved me.:( Flight sim did help with VOR navigation and and flying but now feels dull compared to the real thing. Now i would kindly ask if any one knows which are good flight schools in the area in central Jersey? I plan on getting my PPL as soon as i turn 17 so i can work on regionals after collage. Thanks in advance!

I can't answer your question directly, but hopefully you don't mind some of my input.As far as I'm concerned, if you want to work at the regionals after college, I suggest an aviation oriented school/university... At least if you find it hard to focus on non-aviation oriented stuff like my self. :( i.e. Here at home, I have Guilford Technical College with a transfer option to Riddle. With this particular program --an A.S. Career Pilot/Aviation Management--, it is part of curriculum to receive the Private/Instrument/Commercial. The flow through to Riddle classes is straightforward and relatively inexpensive. On the other hand, I could have dropped the big bucks and gone straight to Riddle after high school.As far as flight training goes, I trained at my small local school during high school to receive my private license. Once I entered "college" I received credit hours for the PPL I already had, then pursued the instrument and commercial license while taking "Instrument/Commercial Pilot Theory" classes. They helped my written scores and oral exam a ton! An important point: My flight instructors were older retired men who obviously weren't vying for regional airlines, so they were focused on helping me succeed. That meant no switching instructors during pivotal points in my training, and they really knew their stuff. None of that superficial cram course stuff.

Thanks for the input! :( I was actually planning on Aerospace engineering, so i was looking at rutgers and others including riddle. Any any opinion on riddle? Thanks again.

Thanks for the input! :( I was actually planning on Aerospace engineering, so i was looking at rutgers and others including riddle. Any any opinion on riddle? Thanks again.
I'm sorry to say I'm not very familiar with the engineering program. I wasn't very interested in engineering when I left HS. My cousin, who graduated the AF Academy, has been looking into their Master's engineering program and says great things about it, though I'm not sure about which area of engineering he's interested in (some sort of ergonomics IIRC). Long story short, it's a prestigioius aeronautics school, but the engineering program is very competitive (like most are).