Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

dc10boy

new FS9 pausing/texture load issue

Hi all, I'm having a new FS9 problem I can't seem to figure out.I'm not even sure what the trigger was or when this started as I havn't flown in a couple of months.The only system or program change I can remember is upgrading Norton security suite from either v3 or 4 to the new v5.Prior to flight I shutdown antivirus auto protect and anti spyware and use gamebooster to close down unneeded processes.what I'm seeing are increased loading times for FS, after initial acft selection, much increased times getting into the select acft. menu and worse yet, midflight pauses of 5-10 seconds that seem like texture load pauses.If I am in a VC at a busy airport, and I look away from the terminal then pan back to look at it again I lose the textures on some or all of my AI acft and sometimes the airport itself.these usually return 5-10 seconds later but sometimes require a scenery refresh to display.This occurs with all of my flyable acft, and at all locations.has anybody encountered this before? could the Norton upgrade be the culprit?My sys specs are ...Q9550 OC'd to 3.45,4GB OCZ plat. RAM a 1GB 9800 pro, XP with the 3GB switch.oh and here are some relevant FS9.CFG entries[DISPLAY]UPPER_FRAMERATE_LIMIT=28TEXTURE_BANDWIDTH_MULT=400TEXTUREMAXLOAD=10Thanks for any help you can giveStan

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi,Disable Norton and see what happens. That is one of the worst AV programs for performance.

Yeah Jim, it's confirmed.....I totally removed Norton and all is well. No pauses, no disappearing textures.Simply disabling Norton seems to have no effect and if you kill the offending processes ccsvchst.exe it just reappears and destroys your performance.my ISP gives Norton free so I'm not sure what to do at this point.Stan

Dump the whole package and use MS Security Essentials right from Microsoft.

Dump the whole package and use MS Security Essentials right from Microsoft.
Or you get Kaspersky Internet security. It works really well and no performance loss.

isn't there some way to totally disable the Norton for games? I can't get it to stop reloading after being shut down.Is MS Security Essentials as safe and effective as Norton?what do you recommend for a firewall as I don't see a 2 way one in the MS offering.I used to use Zone alarm but I hear that can be a hog too.Stan

The firewall in Windows is just fine. Yes, MSSE is just as good.