Sign in to follow this  
bjratchf

CTD when minimizing

Hi all,I'm having a CTD problem when using FSX in full screen, and then deciding to switch tasks (to go to desktop to start a weather program, tweak a system setting, etc). When I click back to FSX, I must click several times and wait, however sometimes FSX never comes back and I have to restart. I'm also having a crash to desktop problem when I select FSUIPC options and go back and fourth. I'll click "accept" after having tweaked FSUIPC, then FSX will crash. I'm not sure if I am able to see what is causing the crash because the "program is restarting" window comes up, and unlike windows XP, you can't see the information on why it crashed (like, the particular dll file).Windows 7 home premium 64btFSUIPC version 4.4?

Brendan R, KDXR PHNL KJFK

Type rated: SF34 / DH8 (Q400) / DC9 717 MD-88/ B767 (CFI/II/MEI/ATP)

Majestic Software Q400 Beta Team / Pilot Consultant / Twitter @violinvelocity

Guest firehawk44
Hi all,I'm having a CTD problem when using FSX in full screen, and then deciding to switch tasks (to go to desktop to start a weather program, tweak a system setting, etc). When I click back to FSX, I must click several times and wait, however sometimes FSX never comes back and I have to restart. I'm also having a crash to desktop problem when I select FSUIPC options and go back and fourth. I'll click "accept" after having tweaked FSUIPC, then FSX will crash. I'm not sure if I am able to see what is causing the crash because the "program is restarting" window comes up, and unlike windows XP, you can't see the information on why it crashed (like, the particular dll file).Windows 7 home premium 64btFSUIPC version 4.4?
You can usually find the cause of a crash or CTD by looking in the Windows Event Viewer. Most of the time it will show you exactly what happened and give you a link to where you might find additional information about the crash. I doubt your "tweaking" of FSUIPC was the cause of your crashes. More than likely a video display driver if you're having problems going from full screen to windowed mode and vice-versa. Completely uninstall your display drivers by going into the Device Manager, selecting your Display Adaptor, clicking on Properties, selecting the Driver Tab, and clicking on Uninstall. When the next window comes up, check the box to delete the driver software for the device. This does the best job of cleaning your system of the display drivers and better than uninstalling the drivers through the Windows Add/Remove program. Once uninstalled, run a free registry cleaner you can get from the Internet and make sure all references to the drivers are gone, then reinstall the drivers (the install program should be located in C:/Nvidia if you have a Nvidia video card). Make sure any anti-virus program or Windows UAC is disabled during the reinstall process as these programs have been known to corrupt software installations. You can check the Event Viewer by clicking on the Start button and typing 'event viewer' in the search box. Look up in the Menu and you should see a link to the Event Viewer. Click on Custom Views/Administrative Events and look for an error around the time(s) your FSX crashed. Hope this helps.Best regards,Jim

Guest jahman
You are mixing two different problems in on thread: Not ideal...Your first problem is not a CTD: Keep trying to Maximize FSX from the menu-bar. Evetually it will happen (works for me at least).Your second problem is a CT: Check that you have copied UIAutomationCore.dll from WXP-64 into your FSX working directory. Otherwise under W7 you will get CTDs after 20 or so times you access the menu bar and/or right-click with the mouse on the FSX window.Cheers,- jahman.

Guest firehawk44
Your second problem is a CT: Check that you have copied UIAutomationCore.dll from WXP-64 into your FSX working directory. Otherwise under W7 you will get CTDs after 20 or so times you access the menu bar and/or right-click with the mouse on the FSX window.Cheers,- jahman.
I do not have this UIAutomationCore.dll (which is part of dotnet framework installation program) located in my FSX directory. I do not get CTDs. I have tried to duplicate your CTDs by accessing the menu bar constantly and right-clicking the mouse on the fsx window. No joy. FSX continues to perform flawlessly. Just download the latest dotnet framework. It is used my most developers for proper installation of FSX and FSX addons. When you install or update dotnet, make sure UAC and/or anti-virus programs are disabled temporarily as they may corrupt the installation. The menu bar crash has always been caused by a bad installation of video card display drivers all the way back to FS2002. Microsoft and some addon developers also use the Microsoft Visuals C++ Redistributables to assist in proper installation of programs. I am puzzled how the uiautomationcore.dll can be accessed by FSX in the main FSX directory. Does FSX read all the dll's installed in this directory? The FSX program itself is definitely not looking for the uiautomationcore.dll while it is running. I am not saying you are wrong about putting the dotnet dll in your main FSX directory, I just find it strange. I know it works for many.Best regards,Jim

Guest jahman
...I am puzzled how the uiautomationcore.dll can be accessed by FSX in the main FSX directory....
Ever since DOS, unless a full path is specified when loading a resource (as in a dll), the local directory (usually the directory the exe was launched from, but can be a different directory, check the properties of your FSX launch icon) is searched first for that resource. If the resource is not found, the directories specified in the PATH O/S variable are searched next (in the order they are specified). Therefore, if you place UIAutomationCored.dll in the directory FSX.exe resides in, and if you then launch FSX from that directory, then that copy of UIAutomationCore.dll will be the one loaded and will trump all other copies of that dll in any other directries.Cheers,- jahman.

Guest firehawk44
Ever since DOS, unless a full path is specified when loading a resource (as in a dll), the local directory (usually the directory the exe was launched from, but can be a different directory, check the properties of your FSX launch icon) is searched first for that resource. If the resource is not found, the directories specified in the PATH O/S variable are searched next (in the order they are specified). Therefore, if you place UIAutomationCored.dll in the directory FSX.exe resides in, and if you then launch FSX from that directory, then that copy of UIAutomationCore.dll will be the one loaded and will trump all other copies of that dll in any other directries.Cheers,- jahman.
Thanks! Good info. I have been educated! I've got to try this out running the Process Manager from Microsoft while opening FSX. Best regards,Jim