Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

strider

Using GPS instead of INS?

I fly at a VA which uses the 737-200 for humanitarian cargo flights all over the World. Some of these are at the edge of the 732's safe range and are very long. While I love the CIVA INS unit it is only practical when I'm actually at the computer to switch to the next ADEU card on these long flights. Yes...I admit it...I have a life and cannot spend hours upon hours waiting for the next ADEU card switch :( . So, is there some way to just use GPS navigation for long routes? I added the "NAV/GPS" switch from the default FS9 737-400 as suggested here (a long time ago) but that switch did nothing. I was in "RAD" mode...not "NAV", and selected "VOR/LOC" on the AP and switched to GPS...the aircraft just blew straight through the route and kept going straight. One thing I wonder about...this flight plan had no VOR's at the beginning...only intersections. Do I have to lock on to a VOR before I can switch to GPS mode using the added 737-400 switch...or is there more to it than that?I'm still using V1.25, BTW...just realized we were up to 1.40. :( Vic

Bob...have you had a chance to look at this thread? If so let me know if there's an answer or not. That way I'll move on and not keep waiting :( Vic

Bob...have you had a chance to look at this thread? If so let me know if there's an answer or not. That way I'll move on and not keep waiting :( Vic
Yes...sorry, should have at least acknowledged it.It does appear that new code for the SP-177 may have broken something in the legacy interface to the default GPS.Haven't looked at it yet. Will try to get around to looking at it at some point, but as much I despise the default GPS, with its clunky, inflexible design, poor documentation, and known shortcomings ignored by MS and carried over across multiple FS generations, it's not going to be a priority. The ISG RNAV units are still the "A" answer if you want GPS in the 'mouse.

Yes...sorry, should have at least acknowledged it.It does appear that new code for the SP-177 may have broken something in the legacy interface to the default GPS.Haven't looked at it yet. Will try to get around to looking at it at some point, but as much I despise the default GPS, with its clunky, inflexible design, poor documentation, and known shortcomings ignored by MS and carried over across multiple FS generations, it's not going to be a priority. The ISG RNAV units are still the "A" answer if you want GPS in the 'mouse.
OK, Bob...but I'm not, as yet, using the version 4.0...I'm still on 2.5 for the 'mouse. Do you think updating to 4.0 and adding some kind of GPS "switch" will still not work? Perhaps I also need to add the actual GPS to the panel before it will work (I haven't done that...just added the FS9 default 737-400 GPS-NAV switch)? I'm going to update to 4.0 anyway...just as soon as I land at LIBR in my current flight. Just wondering if 2.5 vs. 4.0 will make any difference. Anywho, ideally I would like to select between the CIVA INS and GPS...if possible in the future. If not I'll live with it...y'know?

Bob, I've updated to 1.40 with no problems. I will give the ISG unit a look see.Thanks!Vic