Sign in to follow this  
speedbird

LHR-ZRH tutorial

Hi,Just got the MD11 and leaving the 747 in the desert for the moment but I have question about the tutorial 1. I have followed this to the letter on both occasions and everything stacks up as the tutorial mentions until I get to the top of descent stage. What is happening is a slow descent with quite a fast speed meaning I am way to high for the approach. I noticed on both attempts that the FMC showed an error saying cruise level to high for flight plan ( or something similar maybe not exact wording ) but in the plan and on the MCP 37,000 feet was selected as per the tutorial. Any ideas on what is going on? Like I mentioned I followed the tutorial exactly.My remedy on second attempt was to add a holding pattern at GRIPOL and 3 circuits of that got the altitude down to 4k and I completed the autoland without a hitch. It would be nice to avoid the stack for an extra 25 minutes so appreciate any answers on the T/D issue.Thanks.

Are you loading the MD-11 as shown in the tutorial as well?
Yes copied the load in process exactly as described

Did you use KGs in the load manager but enter in LBS in the FMC?

Kyle Rodgers

Did you use KGs in the load manager but enter in LBS in the FMC?
I used KGs in the load manager and typed in the numbers from there to the FMC, ZFW was 178.1 , I checked this by doing the other click option on FMC and auto filling the boxes. Came up with the same.

Have you verified your crossing waypoint information in your FMC?What information does your FMC decent page display?Are you using any 3d party weather generation?

Have you verified your crossing waypoint information in your FMC?What information does your FMC decent page display?Are you using any 3d party weather generation?
Cant answer the crossing waypoint question as I did not take extensive notes.On the perf page of FMC I recall seeing ???????? along the top next to the line path error.I don`t use any add on weather or programs. One point of interest I saw in another thread was someone who posted about a similar problem and said he had not been careful raising flaps on takeoff / climb at the correct time? Could this be a pointer as to affecting the T/D? I will grab some shots next time I get a moment to do the tutorial again. Appreciate the responses and replies fellas.John

My other thought is that you're entering the STAR by selecting the LAT REV page of the arrival airport, instead of the last fix of the route. I know you said you follow the thing to the letter, but if you had, it should be working properly. Check to make sure you're adding the STAR at BLM.Let us know how the next run goes, and take pics. I'll keep thinking of ideas.

Kyle Rodgers

My other thought is that you're entering the STAR by selecting the LAT REV page of the arrival airport, instead of the last fix of the route. I know you said you follow the thing to the letter, but if you had, it should be working properly. Check to make sure you're adding the STAR at BLM.Let us know how the next run goes, and take pics. I'll keep thinking of ideas.
Appreciate your help Kyle, pretty certain I entered the STAR at BLM as you mention, but something to double check the next time around. Any ideas on the max cruse alt error message? I never got to 37k on either attempt and was at 35700 when I got to T/D. Hopefully I can free up some time for this at the weekend.

Any ideas on the max cruse alt error message? I never got to 37k on either attempt and was at 35700 when I got to T/D. Hopefully I can free up some time for this at the weekend.
That whole part makes me go back to it being a weight issue...

Kyle Rodgers

At 178.1 Metric you'll get to FL370 fine unless you're going with brim full tanks.It's always good to check your decsent on the the flightplan page because what goes in there is only as good as the database you're using. Check the altitudes in the FMC against the charts and change them if necessary.

Ok tried again today and same problem. Was extra careful to ensure I copied things exactly. Here is a few screen shots, hope they help 1/ Line up on runwayMD11tutTO1.jpg2 Climbing out 6kMD11tutTO2.jpg3/ Climbing out 10kMD11tutclimbpassing10kecon.jpg4/ Now at cruise 34k ( 2 shots)MD11tutat34kFMCperf.jpgMD11tutat34kFMCprog.jpg5/ Top of descent, where the problem begins, dont get to see the 15,000 k figure in red as per tutorial in left screenMD11topdescentFMCperf.jpg6/ 16 miles from BLM, too high too fast? Not going to make it!MD1116mfromBLMFMCperf.jpg7/ Approaching gripol , should be a heck of a lot lower....MD11approachgripol.jpg8/ No one died....hand flew it in after losing altitude in holding patternmdland.pngCertainly confusing as to whats causing this. Thanks for any help.John

The way your FMA is showing:0.825 Thrust | Nav1 | Hold 34000 (in white)...makes me think that you're not setting the systems up properly. Any time you're following FMC direction, the FMA should show things in magenta. When you're setting your altitudes on the MCP are you pushing or pulling the knob? If so, you shouldn't. If you accidentally left or right click that knob, press PROF, and the FMC will take back over. Note that in your descent picture, you selected 4000, but the FMA still says HOLD 34006. To me, that's telling me that you pushed the knob, which sets it to ALT HOLD at whatever your current altitude is (at that point, apparently 34006).One more thing:Make sure you set 29.92/1013 above the transition level. At 34000, no matter what country you're in, there's no way you should have your altimeter set to 29.22 :(

Kyle Rodgers

John,your FMC cruising level is wrong, for whatever reason it is not set to FL340, hence the white 34000 indication on the FMA. Double check the INIT page having 340 as your cruising level. The FMA has to show 34000 in magenta colour.Cheers,Markus

Markus Burkhard

Agree with the above, you've got your cruise FL set at FL345 presumably because you've inadvertantly turned the alt knob to 34,500 and the FMC has interpreted that as your new cruise (INIT page as mentioned).Alt knob: Right click for Climb Thrust or Idle Descent, left click for Alt Hold.While we're on it, millibars/hectopascals everywhere in the world except Northern America, TA in the UK is 6,000ft and your RVSM altitude for that direction of flight should be an odd FL (if you're going to do it, you might as well do it properly :( )