Sign in to follow this  
NedH

Why do small quick yoke movements do this?

When in level flight if I make a quick but small movement on yoke the aircraft changes altitude quickly in wrong direction then follows the yoke.i.e. if I pull back on yoke a quick tiny amount the plane drops momentarily then starts climbing.Is this normal? Does an upward elevator movement briefly push the plane down before the angle of attack takes effect?

Yeah, it's the queen's aerodynamics.The faster she goes the more aggressively she will climb.

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

Yeah, it's the queen's aerodynamics.The faster she goes the more aggressively she will climb.
You missed my point. Read it again.

You missed my point. Read it again.
You're right.. I totally missed your point.. nothing like that happens with mine though. I pull up and the nose will rise then she will climb. A video could help other understand your issue though.

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

Have you tried re-calibrating your joystick?
Actually it's a Saitek yoke and it's freshly calibrated. If I watch the elevator diagram on the EICAS Controls gauges the elevators faithfully move exactly like the yoke asks them to.If the yoke moves slowly the plane behaves properly. If the yoke moves a very short distance quickly, the elevators move accordingly but the plane momentarily moves about 10 feet up or down then corrects and follows the yoke movement.I'm wondering if maybe this is really what happens in a real 747. If the elevators move up quickly the airstream pushes the whole plane down a small amount then because the tail was pushed down more, the angle of attack change causes the plane to start climbing.Any real 747 pilots out there?

Hey, I'd like to say that I tried what you mentioned.And it feels perfectly logic, if you quickly pull on the yoke, the elevators will act kind of like spoilers. You know when you bring up the spoilers, the nose rises a bit if you're going fast enough. It feels logical that doing a quick and brutal movement would literally "push" the aircraft down a few feet until she starts to climb, same way with pushing down.She's fine ;P

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

Actually it's a Saitek yoke and it's freshly calibrated. If I watch the elevator diagram on the EICAS Controls gauges the elevators faithfully move exactly like the yoke asks them to.If the yoke moves slowly the plane behaves properly. If the yoke moves a very short distance quickly, the elevators move accordingly but the plane momentarily moves about 10 feet up or down then corrects and follows the yoke movement.I'm wondering if maybe this is really what happens in a real 747. If the elevators move up quickly the airstream pushes the whole plane down a small amount then because the tail was pushed down more, the angle of attack change causes the plane to start climbing.Any real 747 pilots out there?
No this is not normal behaviour. It sounds like a control spike or hardware issue.

Rob Prest