Sign in to follow this  
marine1

New computer (laptop)

Hello, I am in a way new to laptop building but I was wondering would the Satellite P770-BT4G22 Laptop be good for FSX all together ( The NGX/ high settings /REX/Acvtive sky and a lot of scenery) ? Currently I have a satellite l305d and its terrible. Julien Clements

Well, looking at the specs of that laptop, it looks pretty good, for a laptop. Your not going to be able to run everything the same as a desktop would, with FSX being the CPU intensive program that it is, it makes it hard on laptops because the mobile processors are run at lower voltages and lower clocks. I think that both the graphics processor and CPU are topline relative to the laptop market. Laptops are not meant to run FSX because technology just isn't there yet. I think if you are dead set on buying a laptop rather than a desktop then this would be a good solution without going crazy and getting an alienware or something...

I'd say one thing of the utmost important for FS on a laptop, check to make sure the hard drive is 7200rpm and not 5400rpm :(

Don't expect it to be any good running FSX on higher settings. It's a lower end i7 mobile which you're not going to be able to overclock, with a low/midrange GPU which will struggle at 1600x900 in intensive applications like FS. It's also running a slow hard drive and slow memory. Certainly it's pretty decent for a laptop, but nowhere near powerful enough to run FSX with a load of addons at high settings. If though you can't build a desktop and have to go with a lappy, then it's not a bad choice for the price.

Don't expect it to be any good running FSX on higher settings. It's a lower end i7 mobile which you're not going to be able to overclock, with a low/midrange GPU which will struggle at 1600x900 in intensive applications like FS. It's also running a slow hard drive and slow memory. Certainly it's pretty decent for a laptop, but nowhere near powerful enough to run FSX with a load of addons at high settings. If though you can't build a desktop and have to go with a lappy, then it's not a bad choice for the price.
Callum, I was looking at your fs9 pictures, if you would could you list some of your scenery add-ons? Ive always wanted to make my fs9 look that nice!Big%20Grin.gif

There's about 7 years worth so not sure I could list them all! Most of the environment textures are a kind of custom mixture of various payware and freeware packages. A lot of the photoscenery was also made by myself. Other than that it's just the usual mix of aerosoft, FSDT, Flytampa, UK2000 sceneries. If there's anything in particular in a shot that you want to know about then you can just PM me and ask.

i run FSX on my VAIO F with addonn sceneries from fly tamp REX and PMDG 747 and i get 20-30fps im practically happy with it

Ok so I did some more research and found a new type of laptop. Would a Qosmio X505 Laptop work good ?

i have a desktop that i made and when i am in other places i use a laptop for fsx and there is a huge difference and being able to choose what you want in a desktop is better than getting a laptop. you can even make your own desktop.

Ok so I did some more research and found a new type of laptop. Would a Qosmio X505 Laptop work good ?
there are many different configurations for that thing, you'll need to be more specific